Tyler the Creator Responds to Criticism On Racist and Offensive Mountain Dew Ad (VIDEO)
"Tyler, the Creator", aka Tyler Gregory Okonma, has responded to the criticism he received over his "Mountain Dew" commercial.
The 60-second ad developed by the 22-year-old rapper was slammed by the public as racist and offensive. It features a battered white woman viewing a police lineup of suspects - mostly black men, along with a female goat, which is actually the culprit.
The goat makes comments to the woman, saying, "Ya better not snitch on a playa," and, "Keep your mouth shut."
The woman, who appears on crutches, eventually screams "I can't do this, no no no!" and runs off.
The video was released by PepsiCo Inc. They soon issued an apology after receiving the unprecedented amount of backlash for the offensive video.
"We apologize for this video and take full responsibility," the company said in a statement last week. "We have removed it from all Mountain Dew channels and Tyler is removing it from his channels as well."
On May 3, Tyler, the Creator told Billboard: "It was just a goat who liked Mountain Dew. He wanted more. The waitress lady got hurt. He got pulled over by the cops, and the lady points out the goat [in the line-up], who obviously attacked her because of the Mountain Dew. And that's it.
"I guess people are claiming that it's racist, which... you know, that wasn't even portrayed in that commercial, there's no type of hate being portrayed in that work of art at all -- which I'm confused by."
He continued: "It was crazy. It's a black guy making this, and if it's so racist and feeding into stereotypes, why in the first commercial that goes along with it, is there a black male with his Asian wife?"
Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman took on the role of God in the 2003 film "Bruce Almighty" and its follow-up film "Evan Almighty" in 2007. But this time around, he hopes to be given the opportunity to play the devil.
Moonlight star and Oscar nominee Mahershala Ali has spoken movingly of facing discrimination as a black man after converting from Christianity to Islam.
- The Mystery Of Millennials: They Aren't Who You Think They Are
- Sunday Swimming Row In Scotland Makes A Splash
- Rome's Catholics And Jews Unite In Art Exhibition Celebrating Ancient Biblical Symbol
- 'Chariots Of Fire' Star Eric Liddell: A Life Dedicated To His God
- Moonlight Star Speaks Of Abuse After Converting From Christianity To Islam
- Planning A Christian Wedding? Here Are Eight Tips
- What I Learned At Soul Survivor's #NaturallySupernatural Conference
- Not Ashamed Of The Gospel: How Paul Still Speaks To Us Today
- Fixer Upper Stars Launch New Wallpaper Range – 'They Completely Transform A Room'
- U.S. Republicans, Democrats Unite To Support Pastor Imprisoned In Turkey, Ask Turkish President To Free Him
- Pope Blasts Politicians For 'Populist Rhetoric' And 'Self-Centredness' Over Migrants
- Archbishop Of Canterbury Warns Of Crisis In South Sudan As Millions Face Starvation
- Milo Yiannopoulos Dis-Invited By Conservative Conference After Pressure From Christians
- China Arrests 4 South Korean Missionaries, Expels 32 More After Raids on Churches
- Captured ISIS Militant Freely Admits Raping 200 Women From Iraqi Minorities, Says It Was 'Normal'