Plague-infected squirrel forces shut down of Los Angeles campsites
A squirrel found to be infected with the plague has caused parts of a national forest in California to be evacuated and shut down.
Campsites in sections of the Angeles National Forest have been closed while more squirrels are tested for the infection.
Los Angeles health authorities have decided to keep the park open only for those hiking through. In the meantime the campsites will remain closed.
Visitors who do decide to take the risk are being advised to use insect repellent and make sure their pets are wearing flea collars.
Although its been centuries since the plague - known as the Black Death - killed in large numbers, the very mention of it can still strike fear into people.
The bacterial infection killed as many as 25 million people in Europe during the Middle Ages and although today it can be treated successfully with antibiotics, it remains a serious condition. If left untreated, victims can die within four days.
The infected squirrel in the Angeles National Forest was discovered during a routine check.
It is believed that no human in the area has been infected.
Chief of Los Angeles County Department Public Health, Dr Jonathan Fielding, said in a statement: "It is important for the public to know that there have only been four cases of human plague in Los Angeles County residents since 1984, none of which were fatal."
Freedom at last! Joyful singing of Christian songs of praise filled the air as families celebrated the release from captivity of 21 of the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted in Chibok, Nigeria more than two years ago. Nearly all of the kidnapped girls were Christians.
Muslim children throughout Pakistan are being indoctrinated with hatred for Christians, a senior Church leader has warned.
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- 10 Books Every Church Preacher Should Read
- 'Killer Clowns' And Flesh-Eating Zombies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Halloween
- The Offensive Teaching Of Jesus That Christians Have Tried To Tone Down
- This Christian Woman Was Locked In A Shipping Container And Tortured - Because She Kept Saying The Name Of Jesus
- Fresh Blow To International Justice Body As South Africa Says It's Quitting
- Churches Around The World Ring Bells For Aleppo As Hundreds Slaughtered In Brutal Siege
- Nigerian Christians Massacred In 'Savage' Attack, At Least 40 Dead
- Charlie Hebdo Mocks New Russian Cathedral: Russians Say It's 'Blasphemous And Scandalous'
- How The Vatican And China Are Trying To Make Up After A Decades-Long Dispute
- Leading Evangelical Calls For Civil Disobedience Against California Abortion Law