Infant superglue VIDEO: Doctor treats brain aneurysm with superglue [PHOTOS]
An infant's life was saved after quick-thinking doctors used surgical superglue to treat an aneurysm in the baby's brain.
3-week-old Ashlyn Julian was at the University of Kansas Hospital when doctors discovered an olive-size aneurysm during an MRI scan.
The size of the aneurysm is extremely rare in children, according to neurosurgeon Dr Koji Ebersole. Doctors had to find small adult equipment to treat the condition as there was none sized for an infant's head.
However, Ashlyn, suffered a brain hemorrhage, which prompted doctors from several hospitals to find a way to treat the infant. Adults would typically undergo an open-skull surgery to operate on the aneurysm, but doctors did not want to operate on the infant and wanted to find a way to repair the damage from the inside.
Doctors used a tiny microcatheter which travelled from Ashlyn's right hip. The catheter was navigated into the her neck and next to the aneurysm using a brain imaging machine. Ebersole then deposited the surgical superglue to the blood vessel which sealed the blood vessel in seconds.
"It's literally the same compound as the superglue you'd find in the store," Ebersole said, according to SFGate.
The rare procedure, which took about 45 minutes, is believed to be the first to be used to operate on an infant's brain.
Ashlyn's parents thanked Ebersole for saving their daughter's life. "I can't express how incredibly lucky and graced we are," said Gina Julian.
Ashlyn is currently resting and will return to the hospital where the blood spilled by the aneurysm into the brain will continue to be drained.
Ebersole believes that the aneurysm will not affect Ashlyn ever again. "I think she's going to have a perfectly normal life," he said.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- The Lesson For Labour From Its Forgotten Christian Socialist Leader: For The Greater Good, Corbyn Should Resign
- Five Scriptures For When You're Feeling Confused
- The 21st Century Solution To Displaying 16th Century Luther Artefacts: Print Them In 3D
- 3 Strategies For Online Soul-Protection
- Will A Christian Film Win Best Picture? Christian Today's Oscar Predictions
- Exclusive Michael Gove Interview: On Trump Quitting Early, Not Talking To Cameron And Being A Flawed Christian
- New Planets Have Been Discovered That Could Support Alien Life. Here Are 10 Questions For Christians
- Brand New VeggieTales Brings Godly Vegetables Back To Netflix: Exclusive Clips
- 'I Miss My Father': Daughter Of Murdered Missionary Jim Elliot Speaks Out
- In France, People Who Speak Against Abortion Will Now Be Treated As Criminals
- Christian Astrophysicist Sees Little Chance Of Alien Life In New Earth-Size Planets Discovered By NASA
- Christian Family Of ISIS Suicide Bomber Believe He Was 'Brainwashed'
- Drive-Through Ash Wednesday Blessings To Be Given Out At This Irish Church
- Opposition To Philippine's President Duterte Turn Historic Event Into Protest March
- Iraqi Forces Push Into Western Mosul And Launch Airstrikes In Syria