Guilty of spoon-spanking: 4-year-old paddled by foster mom with cooking utensil
A foster mother has pled guilty to spanking a 4-year-old child with a wooden spoon.
Jami Littlefield pled guilty Monday to third-degree assault in Superior Court in Norwich, Conn. The 51-year-old who initially denied hitting the child later admitted that she spanked the girl with the wooden spoon for acting out, AP reports.
The unnamed child's biological mother, Elisabeth Land, noticed that her daughter's buttocks were bruised during a supervised visit. Littlefield was arrested after medical staff determined that the bruises were caused by a blunt instrument repeating striking the buttocks.
Littlefield said she spanked the child with the wooden spoon she was cooking with after the child had used a racial slur against her granddaughter, spat and struck her.
Littlefield's foster care license which she received in 2004 has reportedly been removed after her arrest. She will be sentenced on July 17 and may face 100 days in prison and two years of probation for the assault.
According to Gary Kleebatt, a spokesman for the Department of Children and Families, foster parents receive extensive training on the proper care of children, including how to manage behavioral issues.
"Certainly we expect that they will not use an instrument of any type," he told The Day.
Land and her husband had voluntarily signed their daughter and her older brother into foster care in August 2012 after having emotional and financial problems so they could work towards building a better home life for their children, according to The Day. The pair have been attending supervised visits with their children.
"I want the world to know what happened to her (the daughter) because she was in a state-licensed foster home and she suffered these injuries," Land said to The Day.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Monster Or Messiah: How Should The Church Respond To Donald Trump?
- Pope Francis: Christians Face Daily Battle With Satan
- 'Can I get a witness?' Whatever happened to sharing our testimonies?
- It's Been 500 Years Since The Reformation. Now Is The Time To Admit We Need Each Other
- What Does The Bible Have To Say About A Trump Presidency?
- Truth And Justice Meet: Why We Should Celebrate The Freedom Of Chelsea Manning
- Unsatisfied At Work? Here's How To Find Fulfilment
- Auschwitz Memorial Museum Director Appeals For Death Camp Staff Documents
- Real Christian Men Do This
- Vietnamese Buddhist Farmer Turns to Christ and Becomes an Evangelist After Jesus Heals His Wife
- Donald Trump, 45th U.S. President, Is 'Secular Cyrus' Prophesied In Isaiah 45, Says Christian Leader
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Strikes Back At Critical Priests, Asks Them, 'What Is Your Moral Ascendancy?'
- Women's March: Hundreds Of Thousands Of Feminist Protesters Gather In Washington Against Trump Agenda
- Blast In Pakistan Vegetable Market Kills At Least 21
- Violent Clashes Between Protesters And Police In Washington Over Trump Inauguration