Brothers save sister from bear attracted to campsite by bacon grease [VIDEO]
A young girl was saved from a bear by her two loving brothers.
The Kelly family, from Utah, were celebrating Father's Day with a camping trip to New Fork, Wyoming, and had a breakfast of bacon. They thought they cleaned up but a bit of bacon grease was left on the grill, which attracted a bear to their campground, according to KSL.
The family was warned of the bear by two staff members of the campground, who yelled that there was a bear. The family's 11-year-old son Baden shouted and waved at the bear, which stopped long enough for the family to go to a cabin for shelter.
But his 7-year-old sister Moriah did not move.
Baden told KSL: "I said, 'Run, Moriah,' and she didn't run, so I got to her and I started running with her, and that's when the bear started running after us. By the time it got to about 10 feet behind us, my brother came running really fast out of his cabin and shouted very loudly."
Luckily, all three were able to reach safety.
Baden says he feels that he did the right thing to save his sister. "We're just lucky that bear wasn't any older because it wasn't able to run fast enough to catch up to us."
Their mother Kamila told KSL: "The moment I saw Moriah being brought up by the staff, it was just such a relief, and she jumped into my arms and said, 'Baden and Logan saved my life.' "
According to their father Brandon, the bear was killed after it tried to attack a park ranger. He described the frightening incident. "It was really scary. "It really made us evaluate what is Father's Day, how can we all get along better and do things and really just bring the whole family together?"
Luckily, no one was hurt other than some property damage that happened.
According to the National Park Service, running should be avoided when confronted with a bear. Noise and waving can show the bear that you are human.
Kathy Jo Pollock, spokesperson for the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, told Deseret News: "Do not run. Just make a lot of noise. If you do encounter (a bear) that hasn't heard you coming, back away from the bear. Do not turn your back on the bear, because once you turn, you usually start to run and you start to panic and that panics the bear, too."
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- The burning issue: Why the Church has got to start talking about hell
- Come to church this week for poets, rock stars, circus skills and 'champing'
- Lead us not into the temptations of Twitter, warns Pope Francis
- Vice-President Kaine? Find out six facts about his faith
- How your holidays can still be holy days
- Child abuse, the Church and the Goddard inquiry: Why we should all pray it succeeds
- Why Pope Francis may not be particularly welcome in Poland
- Religious people oppose genetic engineering to enhance human abilities
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Many thousands of displaced children in Nigeria on brink of starvation
- Florida Gators' Cristian Garcia credits God with using him to stop alleged sexual assault on a woman
- Senior Church leader warns of 'copycat killings' after French priest has throat slit