Brothers save sister from bear attracted to campsite by bacon grease [VIDEO]
A young girl was saved from a bear by her two loving brothers.
The Kelly family, from Utah, were celebrating Father's Day with a camping trip to New Fork, Wyoming, and had a breakfast of bacon. They thought they cleaned up but a bit of bacon grease was left on the grill, which attracted a bear to their campground, according to KSL.
The family was warned of the bear by two staff members of the campground, who yelled that there was a bear. The family's 11-year-old son Baden shouted and waved at the bear, which stopped long enough for the family to go to a cabin for shelter.
But his 7-year-old sister Moriah did not move.
Baden told KSL: "I said, 'Run, Moriah,' and she didn't run, so I got to her and I started running with her, and that's when the bear started running after us. By the time it got to about 10 feet behind us, my brother came running really fast out of his cabin and shouted very loudly."
Luckily, all three were able to reach safety.
Baden says he feels that he did the right thing to save his sister. "We're just lucky that bear wasn't any older because it wasn't able to run fast enough to catch up to us."
Their mother Kamila told KSL: "The moment I saw Moriah being brought up by the staff, it was just such a relief, and she jumped into my arms and said, 'Baden and Logan saved my life.' "
According to their father Brandon, the bear was killed after it tried to attack a park ranger. He described the frightening incident. "It was really scary. "It really made us evaluate what is Father's Day, how can we all get along better and do things and really just bring the whole family together?"
Luckily, no one was hurt other than some property damage that happened.
According to the National Park Service, running should be avoided when confronted with a bear. Noise and waving can show the bear that you are human.
Kathy Jo Pollock, spokesperson for the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, told Deseret News: "Do not run. Just make a lot of noise. If you do encounter (a bear) that hasn't heard you coming, back away from the bear. Do not turn your back on the bear, because once you turn, you usually start to run and you start to panic and that panics the bear, too."
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Billy Graham: 5 ways Christians can cope with the 'violence and destruction' all around
- Why we should think twice before singing 'Great is thy faithfulness'
- 'Hold onto Jesus' says priest and recovering alcoholic in video published after his death
- The Holocaust survivors who the Pope met at Auschwitz-Birkenau today
- Tim LaHaye and the end times: What should we believe about the end of the world?
- Analysis: How Hillary Clinton's abortion platform is the most liberal in Democrat history
- Jairus' daughter and the sick woman: What links these two stories?
- Finding Dory review: Beautiful and hilarious but too dangerous for my 10-year-old and 93,468 other children
- Who's backing Trump and who's for Clinton? The battle for evangelical endorsements
- 'Soul' leaving a body in China hospital captured on video?
- Turkey's President Erdogan claims West failed to show solidarity over coup attempt
- North Korea bans imports with markings resembling a cross
- Russian humanitarian operation in Syria may be 'ruse', US says
- U.S. President Barack Obama's Muslim half brother Malik says he's voting for Donald Trump
- Europe and U.S. face bigger terror attacks as ISIS loses ground in Mideast, FBI and CIA chiefs both warn