Android 4.4 Kit Kat update begins for Galaxy S4, HTC One Google Play editions; When will Samsung release schedule for S3, S4, Note 2 and 3 update?
Android 4.4 Kit Kat software update has begun to roll out for Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4.
The Galaxy S4 Google Play edition is sold exclusively on the Google Play Store and the new software update is currently available over-the-air (OTA).
HTC One Google Play edition owners can also begin to download the new 4.4 Kit Kat over-the-air.
Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 phones on all networks have nearly finished receiving the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update this week, with S3 owners on T-Mobile finally receiving the update today.
Now that Samsung has cleared the 4.3 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S3 and S4 devices, the Korean company is expected to announce the upgrade schedule for Android 4.4 Kit Kat software.
However, despite its Google Play Edition being among the first Samsung devices to receive the Kit Kat update, the company has remained silent on when the rollout will begin for Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, and Note 3 devices across all major U.S. networks.
Last week, Google's Nexus 4, 7 and 10 have all received the Android 4.4 Kit Kat update. Moto X owners also were among the first to receive the upgrade.
HTC has announced that its HTC One flagship phone will begin to receive updates by the end of January next year.
The new features of Android 4.4 Kit Kat are as follows:
- · Refreshed interface with translucent status and navigation bars on home screen and white status bar icons/text, ability for apps to trigger the translucent appearance.
- Optimizations for performance on devices with lower specifications, Low RAM device API
- Printing framework
- NFC Host Card Emulation for emulating smart cards
- WebViews based off Chromium (feature parity with Chrome 30)
- Expanded functionality for Notification listener services
- Public API for developing and managing text messaging clients, ability to specify a default SMS app.
- New framework for UI transitions
- Storage access framework for retrieving content and documents from other sources
- Sensor batching, Step Detector and Counter APIs
- "Immersive" full screen mode, software buttons and status bar accessed with an edge swipe gesture
- Audio tunneling, audio monitoring, loudness enhancer
- Built-in screen recording
- Native infrared blaster API
- Expanded accessibility APIs, system-level closed captioning settings
- New experimental runtime virtual machine, ART
The 53-page Android Quick Start Guide for Android 4.4 KitKat has been launched on the Google Play store.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- I Was Kicked Out Of Turkey For Being A Christian
- Children Fleeing ISIS In Mosul Find Sanctuary
- Rick Warren: How To Respond When Someone Hurts You
- Why Practising Christian Mindfulness Doesn't Mean Turning Buddhist
- Why The Pope's Historic Trip To Sweden Is So Significant
- Will Christians And Muslims Be Able To Live Side By Side In Iraq After ISIS?
- Sexual Violence: Why Christians Have To Talk About It
- Power Women: The Villagers Standing Up Against Sierra Leone's Rapists
- 3 Ancient Prayers That Will Help You Encounter God In A New Way
- 20 Chinese Christians Beaten And Couple Imprisoned For Hanging Cross In Home
- Ireland's Conservative Abortion Laws Could Be Liberalised
- Russell Moore: If Religious Right Is Not Able To Re-Focus On The Gospel It Deserves To Die
- Vatican And Argentina To Release Archives Of 'Dirty War' That Killed 30,000
- God's Newly Discovered Creations Amaze Scientists: Bizarre New Animals Found Under 'Submerged America'
- Basilica Of The Transfiguration Vandalised And Robbed