Zip-tied 4-year-old was tied to gate by cruel parents (video); left with bruises on wrists and arms
A North Carolina couple has been accused of using zip ties to tie their 4-year-old daughter's wrists and hands to a baby gate. Gerald Thomas Swinehart and Marlaine Victoria Coffey have been taken into police custody and remain prison as they face charges of intentional child abuse. The child has been taken away from their custody.
Swinehart, 26, is also accused of breaking her child's lower teeth after hitting her in the face earlier this year. She required medical attention but was not removed from her parent's home until March 31. Arrest warrants for the parents claimed that the girl suffered bruises to her wrists and ankles from the zip ties.
Coffey, 28, has been set at $50,000 bond. Swinehart's is set at $100,000. Both may face a long prison sentence for the alleged abuse if found guilty. Swinehart is charged with two counts of intentional abuse inflicting serious physical injury, and Coffey is charged with one count. It is not known whether the pair has attorneys to represent them.
Dr Olav Fykse Tveit, general secretary of the World Council of Churches, says in a pastoral letter: 'We are calling for churches around the world to pray for you these days and for a just peace for Jerusalem.'
A boy wrote to Pope Francis inviting him on a pilgrimage for sick children. He received a remarkable reply
The Pope not only took the time to reply in person. He hinted strongly that he might indeed consider attending the annual pilgrimage in Loreto, Italy next year.
- Amazing Grace: 7 quotes from the slaver-turned-preacher John Newton
- WANTED: Christian coders, techies and creatives. The CofE is inviting you to its first 'digital lab'
- Already worrying about Halloween and 'trick-or-treat'? This Christian charity has answers
- Pioneer ministry: How a new generation of ministers is changing the face of mission
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Was Jesus an extremist? 1 in 5 Brits thinks so
- Is the sidelining of religion a root cause of our mental health crisis?
- O.J. Simpson says he wishes he had 'been a better Christian' as he's granted parole
- What does 'home' mean to you? Are you like the Son of Man, with nowhere to lay your head?
- Tearfund's research into the faith of refugees is showing how religion is part of the solution, not just part of the problem
- Israel says Jerusalem mosque metal detectors to stay after bloody Palestinian clash
- Iraqi forces claim to have captured 16-year-old girl who ran away from Germany to marry ISIS jihadi
- More Christians handed harsh prison sentences in Iran; is Tehran afraid that Christianity is growing in the country?
- Muslim teenager goes to Christian camp to get close to his girl crush but ends up falling in love with Jesus instead
- Notorious drug dealer finds Jesus and becomes a pastor after reading the Bible in prison