Windows 8.1 release date: download 'BLUE' today, unveiled at Microsoft BUILD developer's conference
Microsoft is expected to release the Windows Blue 8.1 to developers today at the annual BUILD conference which will kick off at 9 a.m. PT in San Francisco.
The version that will be released Wednesday is officially for developers and Microsoft's partners, but anyone will be able to start downloading the free update starting today. The official release date of Windows 8.1 for the public has not yet been announced.
Among the added features of Windows 8.1 will be a start button that will let users automatically shut down from the start screen. The lack of a start button which was so familiar in other Windows versions has been among the complaints received by the tech company.
Apart from the release of the Windows update, fans are hoping that Microsoft will unveil a smaller 7 or 8-inch version of its popular Surface tablet computers.
Microsoft's Vice President Steve Guggenheimer gave a preview of what will happen at the 2013 BUILD Conference on the official Microsoft Blog.
"At Build 2013 this week in San Francisco, we will showcase how developers, app builder and companies of all sizes can create experience on the Windows platform to engage consumers, empower employees, solve problem and drive companies.
"We will talk about how developers of all types will be able to use Microsoft's broad portfolio of product level capabilities spanning our devices and services, and show how these capabilities can be used together to address the needs of today's developers."
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Harry Potter and the Christian gospel: Three Christian moments in the Harry Potter books
- God is with us through the pain
- Julian the Apostate: How Rome's last pagan emperor went to war with Christians
- Sun, snow and storms: What role does weather play in the Bible?
- Sermon of the Year winner: 'God in the dark'
- Why 'The Benedict Option' is a good option for Christians
- We have them for schools and universities. Why not a league table for churches?
- Should I care about Martin Luther's 95 Theses?
- A martyr for our moment: 3 lessons from the radical Christian sacrifice of St Alban
- UK's Conservative Party agrees £1 billion deal with the Northern Ireland's Protestant DUP
- Fairtrade hit by changes in supermarket deal
- Donald Trump refuses to host White House Ramadan meal, breaking 20-year tradition
- Christian school warned: Don't teach Bible passages that are 'offensive' to LGBT people
- Reports say 100 Christians may be hostages in Philippines battle between army and Islamist rebels
- Oil tanker explosion kills more than 120 in Pakistan