Windows 8.1 release date: download 'BLUE' today, unveiled at Microsoft BUILD developer's conference
Microsoft is expected to release the Windows Blue 8.1 to developers today at the annual BUILD conference which will kick off at 9 a.m. PT in San Francisco.
The version that will be released Wednesday is officially for developers and Microsoft's partners, but anyone will be able to start downloading the free update starting today. The official release date of Windows 8.1 for the public has not yet been announced.
Among the added features of Windows 8.1 will be a start button that will let users automatically shut down from the start screen. The lack of a start button which was so familiar in other Windows versions has been among the complaints received by the tech company.
Apart from the release of the Windows update, fans are hoping that Microsoft will unveil a smaller 7 or 8-inch version of its popular Surface tablet computers.
Microsoft's Vice President Steve Guggenheimer gave a preview of what will happen at the 2013 BUILD Conference on the official Microsoft Blog.
"At Build 2013 this week in San Francisco, we will showcase how developers, app builder and companies of all sizes can create experience on the Windows platform to engage consumers, empower employees, solve problem and drive companies.
"We will talk about how developers of all types will be able to use Microsoft's broad portfolio of product level capabilities spanning our devices and services, and show how these capabilities can be used together to address the needs of today's developers."
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 'Life' might just be the most anti-Christian movie you'll see this year
- 'People all over the world are praying for you': Billy Graham chaplains help those affected by London terror
- 'Love divine, all loves excelling': 7 inspiring hymns by Charles Wesley
- How do evil spirits work? Can we inherit them from our ancestors?
- Was Christopher Columbus really a Jew fleeing persecution by the Spanish Inquisition?
- Christians are to the fore in efforts to find homes in the UK for thousands of Syrian refugees
- Render unto Caesar: The new pound coin has an uncomfortable message for the Church
- A Christian ministry brings healing to Jewish children and seniors in Ukraine
- A family in the United States is battling for the right to name their daughter 'Allah'
- 12,000 homes, $200 million: The cost of rebuilding just part of Iraq's shattered Christian community
- Six men arrested for 'trying to force a woman to convert to Christianity' in India
- US pastor charged for 'illegal' Bible study in Russia appeals to European Court of Human Rights
- Tribes, tensions and gay marriage: What's the future for the Church of England?
- Will Northern Ireland's political meltdown scupper Pope Francis' visit next year?
- Another Catholic priest killed in spiralling Mexico violence