Toddler found in trunk [VIDEO]: Isaiah Theis' body found in customer's car - how did he get in?
The body of a two-year-old boy from Wisconsin has been found in a trunk on Wednesday.
Isaiah Theis' body was discovered in the trunk of a customer's car near his home where his father runs an auto repair shop after he disappeared Tuesday night. The boy's body was only discovered at 10:15 Wednesday in a locked car parked outside of his parents' home.
Police are questioning how the toddler managed to get locked in the trunk. Investigators failed to look in the trunk of the car despite scouring the woods and fields to look for the boy.
Steve Moe of the Polk County Sherriff's office said in a press conference Thursday: "We were operating under the belief that there was no access to those vehicles, and finding out later there was, I was surprised."
The car had been searched for the missing boy but they did not look inside the trunk. Moe said that he wished searchers had looked inside the trunk. "Would we liked to have forced entry to the car? Yeah, from my personal perspective," he said.
The statement said that a full autopsy is underway to determine the cause of death.
Theis' father runs an auto repair shop and he had multiple cars in his care on Wednesday.
Authorities presumed that the toddler had wandered off into the fields. "It was that belief that dominated the search," Moe said.
Theis' body was only discovered when the owner of the car arrived at his home to remove his car.
See a video of the press conference below:
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Generous leadership: What Moses has to teach pastors today
- The profound Christian faith of Vincent van Gogh
- You can transform the world through love: here's how
- The hidden crisis facing Iraq's refugees – their medicines have run out
- Tribes, tensions and gay marriage: What's the future for the Church of England?
- 'Life' might just be the most anti-Christian movie you'll see this year
- 'People all over the world are praying for you': Billy Graham chaplains help those affected by London terror
- 'Love divine, all loves excelling': 7 inspiring hymns by Charles Wesley
- How do evil spirits work? Can we inherit them from our ancestors?
- After London's terror attack, should I still evangelise my Muslim neighbour?
- Mother of Palestinian shot by Israeli forces last year in Jerusalem is also killed
- Pastor prays for Lazarus-style miracle that dead wife will be resurrected by God
- Christian President of Lebanon controversially declares Christians are 'no longer in direct danger' in Middle East
- Judge throws out class action against Christian group brought by LGBT activists
- Q&A explainer: Why are ultra-Orthodox Jews protesting in Jerusalem against the State of Israel?