Toddler found in trunk [VIDEO]: Isaiah Theis' body found in customer's car - how did he get in?
The body of a two-year-old boy from Wisconsin has been found in a trunk on Wednesday.
Isaiah Theis' body was discovered in the trunk of a customer's car near his home where his father runs an auto repair shop after he disappeared Tuesday night. The boy's body was only discovered at 10:15 Wednesday in a locked car parked outside of his parents' home.
Police are questioning how the toddler managed to get locked in the trunk. Investigators failed to look in the trunk of the car despite scouring the woods and fields to look for the boy.
Steve Moe of the Polk County Sherriff's office said in a press conference Thursday: "We were operating under the belief that there was no access to those vehicles, and finding out later there was, I was surprised."
The car had been searched for the missing boy but they did not look inside the trunk. Moe said that he wished searchers had looked inside the trunk. "Would we liked to have forced entry to the car? Yeah, from my personal perspective," he said.
The statement said that a full autopsy is underway to determine the cause of death.
Theis' father runs an auto repair shop and he had multiple cars in his care on Wednesday.
Authorities presumed that the toddler had wandered off into the fields. "It was that belief that dominated the search," Moe said.
Theis' body was only discovered when the owner of the car arrived at his home to remove his car.
See a video of the press conference below:
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- A martyr for our moment: 3 lessons from the radical Christian sacrifice of St Alban
- Cathedrals in crisis? Three ways we could support their growing ministry
- Most religious groups support gay marriage - with the exception of white evangelical Christians
- One reason your church may not be growing – and five things that might help
- An Englishman in America: How the Anglican Church came to the USA
- 'We are probably not alone': NASA discovers 200 new planets – and 10 similar to Earth
- How the whole Bible hangs together – in one easy lesson
- A lesson from Acts: You are not the saviour of the world
- World Refugee Day: 3 Bible reasons Christians can't turn their backs on strangers
- Crisis continues: Millions on brink of starvation in South Sudan, despite end of famine
- South Korean Christian told to leave Pakistan after arrest on suspicion of covert missionary work
- England and Wales' Divorce rate drops to lowest level since the 1970s
- ISIS demolishes historic mosque in Mosul in 'declaration of defeat'
- WATCH: Disturbing footage shows heroic Christian aid worker rescuing young girl from Islamists in Iraq
- Death sentence: The US Christians fearing deadly family deportation to Iraq