Christmas is a time that's often celebrated by dinner parties, gifts, and cool decor everywhere. Are you preparing for this coming Christmas season?
I am writing this article to all the husbands thinking of what to give to their wives as a Christmas gift. Let me help you prepare for it a better way.
The best gift ever
The Christmas story is one that speaks of God's great love to all men. On that night, Mary gave birth to the young Saviour destined to save the world and redeem all men. On that night God gave to all men the greatest gift that could never ever be replaced nor equaled:
The gift of His one and only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
Knowing this, I would like all men to consider this idea: if God gave us the best gift of all, why not learn to give the best gift we can give to our wives?
And that gift is ourselves.
The one gift she really wants
Friends, far better and greater than any gift that can be bought in malls, car shops, and jewelry stores, we should consider giving ourselves fully to our wives. Aside from Jesus, we're the one thing they'd want for Christmas every single year - our compliments, our time, our attention, our admiration.
Perhaps you find it difficult to understand what I am talking about. "I've been giving myself to her, that's why I work hard to earn a decent wage," you might be saying. Or you could even say that you've sacrificed so many things for the sake of your marriage.
Well, think again.
- It's not about working hard to earn money to buy her a nice gift. It's about showing her that she means more than your paycheck and the things you would've bought for her. She's more important than that.
- It's not about sacrificing all sorts of personal things for her. It's about showing her that she's worth your everything. That she's worth giving up time with the boys for. That she's far more important than any other thing or person in your life.
In reality, the best gift you can give to your wife is yourself because if you buy her the perfect gift she always wanted but you didn't even sit down to have a proper conversation with her, she will feel cheated and question her value in your eyes.
The Lord Jesus modeled it for us. Ephesians 5:25-29 tells us,
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church."
Here are some ideas on how to give yourself to your wife:
- Learn to think of her and her needs more than your own;
- Be the spiritual leader at home and ask her to read the Bible and pray together with you;
- Speak encouraging and life-giving words to her and avoid talking down to her;
- Treat her the way you want to be treated;
- Cherish every moment you're having and every memory you've had together.
Don't be so busy this Christmas that you forget to take a moment to tell your wife how much you appreciate her. Fellow husbands, let's all follow the Lord Jesus Christ and love our wives the way He loved us all.