Super Moon tonight 2013: June 22 , 23 - Facts about the full 'perigee' moon [VIDEO]
Gaze up at the sky tonight to catch a glimpse of a rare 'super' supermoon, the huge perigee moon that will be shining brightly over this weekend.
The super moon which will occur tonight and on June 23, will appear to be bigger than the average full moon as it will be lined up with the sun perfectly so that the moon will appear to be brighter and bigger.
The moon will be at its closes point to Earth on June 23 at 7:32 a.m. EDT but will appear just as big tonight.
This weekend's super moon is known as a "perigee" full moon, which means that it's orbit is closes to the center of Earth in a month. Full moons do no necessarily happen during a perigee but when it does, it means the sun, earth and moon align. Another super moon like this will not be seen until August 2014.
The perigee and full moon this month will only be an hour apart.
Sunday's super full moon means that the moon will be 221,824 miles away from Earth. The period where the moon orbits furthest from Earth is called an apogee. In an apogee, the moon is 30,000 further away from this point.
According to NASA scientists, this weekend's super moon will appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a regular full moon.
The best time to view the 'super' super moon will be around sunset and into the evenings on June 22 and 23 bearing that the night sky is clear and void of clouds.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Brexit's all very well – but what sort of Britain should Christians want to build?
- 'People all over the world are praying for you': Billy Graham chaplains help those affected by London terror
- 'Love divine, all loves excelling': 7 inspiring hymns by Charles Wesley
- How do evil spirits work? Can we inherit them from our ancestors?
- Was Christopher Columbus really a Jew fleeing persecution by the Spanish Inquisition?
- Christians are to the fore in efforts to find homes in the UK for thousands of Syrian refugees
- Render unto Caesar: The new pound coin has an uncomfortable message for the Church
- A Christian ministry brings healing to Jewish children and seniors in Ukraine
- A family in the United States is battling for the right to name their daughter 'Allah'
- Will Northern Ireland's political meltdown scupper Pope Francis' visit next year?
- Another Catholic priest killed in spiralling Mexico violence
- 'The devil's come down': How rape and murder are stalking the displaced of South Sudan
- Terror will never drive us apart, pledge Archbishops, Imams and Chief Rabbi
- Christian convert in prison in Iran is seriously ill and in urgent need of medical care
- Coptic Pope says Egyptian Christians' problems are 'minor', warns against 'harmful' exaggeration