Solar Eclipse 2013 Live Stream; Watch Online Annular Eclipse 'Ring of Fire' May 9-10 at 5p.m. EDT
The moon is set to eclipse the sun today, creating what looks like a cosmic 'ring of fire.'
The solar eclipse, also known as the annular eclipse, will take place May 9 and May 10 but will only be visible to those living in Australia and the Southern Pacific Ocean, according to space.com.
"Solar eclipses can be inspirational to students and others, so it is interesting to have everyone view the eclipse, but only safe methods of viewing should be used," astronomer Jay Pasachoff told Space.com. Pasachoff is an astronomer at Williams College and chair of the International Astronomical Union's working group on eclipses.
Despite the moon eclipsing over 95 percent of the sun, the sky will not appear to be darker than usual.
Observers are advised to use protective camera lenses and filters when viewing the eclipse. Viewers are strongly advised not to watch the eclipse with a naked eye, as it can result in permanent damage.
A live stream of the eclipse will be hosted for those who are not in the right location to view the rare event. The annular event will start Thursday 5:30 pm. EDT on May 9.
Click HERE for the live stream.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks the sun.
After the huge success of the Pope's TED talk, here are five more to inspire you.
Christians often implore each other to 'pray for our leaders', but what is good leadership? The Bible doesn't feature democracies or political elections, but it has plenty of leaders: pharoahs, kings and emperors to name a few. Scripture has much wisdom and warning for such figures. Here are 11 Bible verses about leadership.
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- The lamp on a stand: How Jesus' words in Luke 8 are a warning to the internet age
- Asperging the asparagus: Why the Church of England is being mercilessly mocked for its latest service of blessing
- World-changing faith: Seven leaders who won the prestigious Templeton Prize
- Shakespeare on religion: 8 quotes from the greatest English writer
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is 'like drinking gin on an empty stomach'
- Trump says 'major, major' conflict with North Korea possible, but seeks diplomatic solution
- It's official: Christians don't respond to persecution with violence
- The 'world's worst humanitarian crisis' is not Syria or Iraq. Why do we barely hear about it?
- In this square where heretics were sentenced to death by fire, the Bible is read out loud to mark the Reformation
- Saudi Arabia sentences man to death for atheism and blasphemy