Solar Eclipse 2013 Live Stream; Watch Online Annular Eclipse 'Ring of Fire' May 9-10 at 5p.m. EDT
The moon is set to eclipse the sun today, creating what looks like a cosmic 'ring of fire.'
The solar eclipse, also known as the annular eclipse, will take place May 9 and May 10 but will only be visible to those living in Australia and the Southern Pacific Ocean, according to space.com.
"Solar eclipses can be inspirational to students and others, so it is interesting to have everyone view the eclipse, but only safe methods of viewing should be used," astronomer Jay Pasachoff told Space.com. Pasachoff is an astronomer at Williams College and chair of the International Astronomical Union's working group on eclipses.
Despite the moon eclipsing over 95 percent of the sun, the sky will not appear to be darker than usual.
Observers are advised to use protective camera lenses and filters when viewing the eclipse. Viewers are strongly advised not to watch the eclipse with a naked eye, as it can result in permanent damage.
A live stream of the eclipse will be hosted for those who are not in the right location to view the rare event. The annular event will start Thursday 5:30 pm. EDT on May 9.
Click HERE for the live stream.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks the sun.
Diagnosed with cancer, this Christian got through it by praying and painting Jesus' last day on earth
From witnessing and experiencing the energy of the power of prayer and being part of painting'Golgotha', his version of the Stations of the Cross, Derek Culley came through two heart attacks and cancer with an inner calm and serenity that he has to this day when engaged in art and art making
You may not feel special or important, but as a Christian it is very possible that God may already have a plan that requires your assistance. It might be something big, or it might be something small; but whatever it is, if it is God's plan, it will be important, because you are important to God.
- Canon: How a Bible card game is helping students learn how Scripture began
- Top musicians are to sing all 150 Psalms in one weekend. What can this teach our world today?
- Was this Catholic cardinal a saint or a pro-Nazi war criminal?
- Diagnosed with cancer, this Christian got through it by praying and painting Jesus' last day on earth
- The face of Christ? Turin Shroud does contain the blood of a torture victim, research suggests
- Would-be bride turns canceled $30,000 wedding reception into banquet for the homeless
- How the least perfect people are sometimes the most important for God's plan
- Alt-right popularity drives black Southern Baptist pastor to leave denomination: 'I've had enough'
- 3 conversations Christians can no longer ignore
- Pope Francis makes surprise call to rubbish collector who lost both his legs in collision
- Prince William and Kate meet Salvation Army anti-trafficking worker in Poland
- How this passionate Christian from Samaritan's Purse is helping to save lives in war-torn northern Iraq
- You aren't coming through here: Nuns build chapel to block fracking gas pipeline
- ISIS receipt surfaces in Mosul for sale of 20-year-old woman to jihadi for $1,500
- 16-year-old Christian boy is the latest victim of Pakistan's blasphemy law