Sochi Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony 2014 live stream will not be provided by NBC [TV start time, schedule]
The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics will be kicking off in just one week. Millions of viewers will be turning in to watch the live televised Winter games from Russia.
Athletes from around the world will come together to compete and NBC will be telecasting 1,539 hours of programming across all its channel and online outlets, according to Sports Illustrated.
NBC will make every event in the 2014 Winter Games available to view online via NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra mobile app available for both iOS and Android mobile devices.
However, one thing that NBC won't be streaming live will be the opening ceremony. The Opening Ceremony will take place live beginning at 11 a.m. ET/ 8 a.m. PT on Feb. 7, 2014.
However, viewers in America can only watch the 9-hour tape-delay version of the 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony which will be broadcast on NBC at 7:30 p.m. ET on Feb. 7 with full coverage by Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira until 11:30.m. ET.
NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus told Variety: "We want to put context to it, with the full pageantry it deserves.
The opening ceremony will feature over 1,000 participants, including a chorus consisting of over 1,000 Russian children. Musicians such as viola player Yuri Bashmet and pianist Denis Matsuev will perform.
This year, viewership of the Winter Games is expected to exceed the Vancouver Games in 2009. Viewers peaked at 190 million four years ago.
Popular and most-watched events at the Winter Olympics will inevitably be figure skating and hockey.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Why does Jesus refuse to help the Syro-Phoenician woman in Matthew 15?
- Why do people stop going to church – and what can we do about it?
- Christian pop singer Justin Bieber says, 'Thank God I'm not where I used to be'
- The faith perspective: How Psalm 33 speaks to our political reality
- London's fire-fighting bishop: Who was St Mellitus?
- Why does Jesus say 'If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven'?
- 'The Promise': An in-depth interview with the producer of this unmissable movie for Christians
- Security dominates French election after shooting
- St Anselm was one of the most influential Christians of the last 1,000 years. But who was he and what did he believe?
- Jewish and Muslim leaders warn against voting for 'dangerous' Marine Le Pen in French election
- Pope Francis issues video message to Egyptians, saying the world needs 'peace, love and mercy'
- Christian Pakistani family's 14-year old daughter kidnapped at gunpoint
- Can John Wesley teach us how to campaign in a general election?
- Who is the greatest Christian alive today?
- China bans religious names in ongoing crackdown