Sochi Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony 2014 live stream will not be provided by NBC [TV start time, schedule]
The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics will be kicking off in just one week. Millions of viewers will be turning in to watch the live televised Winter games from Russia.
Athletes from around the world will come together to compete and NBC will be telecasting 1,539 hours of programming across all its channel and online outlets, according to Sports Illustrated.
NBC will make every event in the 2014 Winter Games available to view online via NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra mobile app available for both iOS and Android mobile devices.
However, one thing that NBC won't be streaming live will be the opening ceremony. The Opening Ceremony will take place live beginning at 11 a.m. ET/ 8 a.m. PT on Feb. 7, 2014.
However, viewers in America can only watch the 9-hour tape-delay version of the 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony which will be broadcast on NBC at 7:30 p.m. ET on Feb. 7 with full coverage by Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira until 11:30.m. ET.
NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus told Variety: "We want to put context to it, with the full pageantry it deserves.
The opening ceremony will feature over 1,000 participants, including a chorus consisting of over 1,000 Russian children. Musicians such as viola player Yuri Bashmet and pianist Denis Matsuev will perform.
This year, viewership of the Winter Games is expected to exceed the Vancouver Games in 2009. Viewers peaked at 190 million four years ago.
Popular and most-watched events at the Winter Olympics will inevitably be figure skating and hockey.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Amazing Grace: 7 quotes from the slaver-turned-preacher John Newton
- WANTED: Christian coders, techies and creatives. The CofE is inviting you to its first 'digital lab'
- Already worrying about Halloween and 'trick-or-treat'? This Christian charity has answers
- Pioneer ministry: How a new generation of ministers is changing the face of mission
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Was Jesus an extremist? 1 in 5 Brits thinks so
- Is the sidelining of religion a root cause of our mental health crisis?
- O.J. Simpson says he wishes he had 'been a better Christian' as he's granted parole
- What does 'home' mean to you? Are you like the Son of Man, with nowhere to lay your head?
- Radical Muslim embraces Jesus after Christians show him kindness in ISIS-torn Syria
- World Church leaders offer prayers for 'just peace' in Jerusalem
- A boy wrote to Pope Francis inviting him on a pilgrimage for sick children. He received a remarkable reply
- Tearfund's research into the faith of refugees is showing how religion is part of the solution, not just part of the problem
- Israel says Jerusalem mosque metal detectors to stay after bloody Palestinian clash
- Iraqi forces claim to have captured 16-year-old girl who ran away from Germany to marry ISIS jihadi