Salvation Army Teams Working Hard in Aftermath of London Bomb Explosions

The Salvation Army has been out in force after Thursday’s bomb attacks on the London Transport Network, offering support and counselling to those affected. The three bomb explosions on the London Underground and one on a Number 30 bus during the morning rush hour have left more than 50 people dead and hundreds injured.

A Salvation Army emergency vehicle has been stationed at Russell Square since the bombings took place, with the extra support of volunteers, to offer support, counselling and refreshments to all involved in the investigations, clean-up operation and recovery of bodies.

Some Salvation Army officers have even stayed with paramedics in the Underground to offer comfort as they recover the remainder of the bodies. Other officers have been on standby to listen to workers as they take their breaks.

Salvation Army officer Major Anne Read, speaking from her post at Russell Square, told of the positive reaction they have received: "People who have been in the tunnel have witnessed some very grim, disturbing scenes. They have been grateful for the chance to talk in confidence about what they’ve seen."

Other teams were also positioned at King’s Cross, offering support to the emergency services and comfort to survivors, and Oxford Street, to help stranded commuters, with the teams working until late last night.

The Salvation Army welcomed the emergency services into its Faith House Social Services Centre, which is opposite King’s Cross, to paramedics and other members of the emergency services, offering counselling and refreshments.

Faith House was also used by distressed travellers in need of a talk or just a quiet place to sit down and rest or reflect on the day’s events, as well as offering support to volunteers who had worked with the emergency services.

Later in the evening the Salvation Army was on hand in central London distributing clothing and food parcels to members of the general public and those still trying to get home. Ministers also remained at work until late into the night, supporting London’s hospital chaplaincies in their counselling of victims and their families.

Lieut-Colonel Vic Poke, Chief Secretary of The Salvation Army’ United Kingdom Territory said, "The Salvation Army is proud to have been involved in supporting the emergency services and the people of London during this tragic and traumatic experience."

He added, "We will continue to do all we can to help the emergency services, survivors and the relatives of the bereaved during these difficult days."