Pink dolphins in danger from polluted waters in Hong Kong; Numbers plummet to just 78 (video)
Rare pink dolphins in Hong Kong are in danger due to pollution and other threats, conservatives warned Monday. The Chinese white dolphins, often referred to as pink dolphins, have been declining in number in recent years, according to the Hong Kong Dolphin Society.
The number plummeted from 158 in 2003 to just 78 in 2011, and the number is expected to be even lower for 2012. Society chairman Samuel Hung says: "It is up to the government and every Hong Kong citizen to stand up for dolphins. We risk losing them unless we all take action."
A group of pink dolphins was spotted helping its mother support her dead calf's body by a tour guide two weeks ago. A video of the scene shows the grieving mother attempting to revive the calf.
"We're 99 per cent certain the calf died from toxins in the mother's milk, accumulated from polluted seawater," said Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spokeswoman Janet Walker. Most of the rare pink dolphins are found in Chinese waters and less than 2,500 live in the Pearl River Delta, which is between Macau and Hong Kong.
The number of the rare pink dolphins are believed to have dropped significantly due to overfishing, marine traffic increase, and water pollution in the area.
The Chinese white dolphins may appear as an albino dolphin to some. The pink color comes from blood vessels which were overdeveloped for thermoregulation.
Israel will not remove metal detectors whose installation outside a major Jerusalem mosque has triggered the bloodiest confrontations with the Palestinians in years, but could eventually reduce their use, Israeli officials said on Sunday.
Iraqi forces say that a young girl in their captivity in Mosul is a German girl who became radicalized online and left her country to marry an ISIS jihadi
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Was Jesus an extremist? 1 in 5 Brits thinks so
- Is the sidelining of religion a root cause of our mental health crisis?
- O.J. Simpson says he wishes he had 'been a better Christian' as he's granted parole
- What does 'home' mean to you? Are you like the Son of Man, with nowhere to lay your head?
- Gaming for God: New card game asks the Church 'what is mission?'
- Top musicians are to sing all 150 Psalms in one weekend. What can this teach our world today?
- Was this Catholic cardinal a saint or a pro-Nazi war criminal?
- More Christians handed harsh prison sentences in Iran; is Tehran afraid that Christianity is growing in the country?
- Muslim teenager goes to Christian camp to get close to his girl crush but ends up falling in love with Jesus instead
- Notorious drug dealer finds Jesus and becomes a pastor after reading the Bible in prison
- 'Shocking verdict' as Egypt court sentences 28 to death over 2015 prosecutor killing
- Plea for Katie Hopkins to apologise after she was photographed with Swedish Holocaust denier
- Murdered Indian pastor received death threats, son reveals