Watch Matthew McConaughey acceptance speech VIDEO: Winner of Best Actor Academy Award at Oscars 2014
The 86th Annual Academy Awards took place tonight, and Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor award, beating Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
See his acceptance speech below:
McConaughey's performance as HIV sufferer Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club has been critically acclaimed. Like fellow actor Christian Bale, he changed his physique dramatically and dropped his weight to take on the role of the AIDS sufferer.
Critics predicted that McConaughey will be the Best Actor winner this year, but he faced fierce competition with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Dicaprio was also a fan favorite to win after his impressive take on Jordan Belfort on The Wolf of Wall Street.
McConaughey had competition from British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, who also tipped for the award for his role as Solomon Northup in 12 Years A Slave.
The 2014 Oscars award ceremony took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood tonight, Mar. 2, 2014.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- London's fire-fighting bishop: Who was St Mellitus?
- Why does Jesus say 'If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven'?
- 'The Promise': An in-depth interview with the producer of this unmissable movie for Christians
- Security dominates French election after shooting
- St Anselm was one of the most influential Christians of the last 1,000 years. But who was he and what did he believe?
- Are Trump-supporting evangelicals isolating themselves from the unchurched they want to reach?
- 'The Selfish Gospel': Why salvation isn't all about me
- Who are the Jehovah's Witnesses? 5 things you should know
- 'The Promise' director Terry George: Why I believe in redemption
- France now has a clear choice – which way will it turn?
- Persecuted Guatemalan pastor wins prestigious award for protecting his community
- France's Macron favourite for presidency in runoff with Le Pen
- US citizen who worked at university with strong Christian links is detained in North Korea
- Palestinian wounds four in Tel Aviv stabbing attack - Israeli police
- North Korea says ready to strike U.S. aircraft carrier