Motorcycle crashes 285 mph [VIDEO]: Bill Warner dies trying to top 300 mph, veered off runway, lunged 40 feet high
A motorcycle racer has died after crashing at 285 mph on Sunday in front of 400 spectators.
Bill Warner, 44, lost control of his motorcycle as he tried to top 300 mph speeds.
Warner was racing at a former air base in northern Maine when his motorcycle zoomed off the runway.
The racer, from Wimauma, was doing speeds of 285 just before he lost control, but it is not known whether he was traveling faster than that when he crashed off the runway. The motorcycle suddenly veered hard to the right and witnesses say that he was lunged 40 feet high and 100 yards down the track.
Warner was taking part in "The Maine Event" at Loring Air Force Base before he crashed just before 10 a.m. He was conscious and was said to be talking after the crash, but died of his injuries an hour and 15 minuts later at a hospital.
"No one will touch Bill's achievements or be the type of racer he was. He was a personal friend and the land-racing community is less for his loss," said Tim Kelly, race director of the Loring Timing Association.
Warner previously set the world land speed record with a Suzuki Kayabusa by clocking 311 mph in 2011 on 1.5 miles of pavement. He had tried to top his record by going for 300 mph by using just one mile of pavement.
The Maine Event is held annually at the former Strategic Air Command base. 2.5 miles of the 14,200 foot-long runway is used for the event.
The event was cancelled after the crash and local police departments are currently investigating the circumstances of the crash.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Is Justin Bieber quitting world tour to start his own church?
- Why we must open them every day: our 5-point plan to save Britain's churches
- Godfulness: What the Church can learn from a new (but old) kind of meditation
- What did Jesus mean when he condemned those who make children 'stumble'?
- Amazing Grace: 7 quotes from the slaver-turned-preacher John Newton
- WANTED: Christian coders, techies and creatives. The CofE is inviting you to its first 'digital lab'
- Already worrying about Halloween and 'trick-or-treat'? This Christian charity has answers
- Pioneer ministry: How a new generation of ministers is changing the face of mission
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Stage is set for the end times, believes John Hagee
- Israel removes metal detectors from Jerusalem mosque following bloody clashes; Palestine demands further repeal
- Anglican leader in Jamaica breaks ranks by calling for legalisation of sodomy
- Islamist militants in Kenya went house to house killing Christians
- Vatican shuts down fountains amid Italy drought, in line with Pope Francis' environment teachings
- Victory for campaigners as US judge blocks attempt to deport Iraqi Christians