Motorcycle crashes 285 mph [VIDEO]: Bill Warner dies trying to top 300 mph, veered off runway, lunged 40 feet high
A motorcycle racer has died after crashing at 285 mph on Sunday in front of 400 spectators.
Bill Warner, 44, lost control of his motorcycle as he tried to top 300 mph speeds.
Warner was racing at a former air base in northern Maine when his motorcycle zoomed off the runway.
The racer, from Wimauma, was doing speeds of 285 just before he lost control, but it is not known whether he was traveling faster than that when he crashed off the runway. The motorcycle suddenly veered hard to the right and witnesses say that he was lunged 40 feet high and 100 yards down the track.
Warner was taking part in "The Maine Event" at Loring Air Force Base before he crashed just before 10 a.m. He was conscious and was said to be talking after the crash, but died of his injuries an hour and 15 minuts later at a hospital.
"No one will touch Bill's achievements or be the type of racer he was. He was a personal friend and the land-racing community is less for his loss," said Tim Kelly, race director of the Loring Timing Association.
Warner previously set the world land speed record with a Suzuki Kayabusa by clocking 311 mph in 2011 on 1.5 miles of pavement. He had tried to top his record by going for 300 mph by using just one mile of pavement.
The Maine Event is held annually at the former Strategic Air Command base. 2.5 miles of the 14,200 foot-long runway is used for the event.
The event was cancelled after the crash and local police departments are currently investigating the circumstances of the crash.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- President Trump's first 100 days: What has he achieved so far?
- Can Pope Francis do anything to help Egypt's Christians?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review: an atheist's God from beyond the stars
- What did Jesus mean when he said 'I am the vine'?
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- Polls show Labour gaining on Tories, though still trailing
- Trump at 100 days rally: 'I'm just getting started'
- As floods and mudslides devastate Peru, victims ask for Bibles
- Former terrorist, rebel leader and drug trafficker, now a courageous pastor in Mexico
- Middle East Christians receive support from an unlikely place - the Muslim royal family
- Pope, at Cairo Mass, urges unity against fanaticism