Madrid air show plane crash video: 3,000 spectators watch plane explode in flames - pilot dies
A jet plane crashed into a hangar and exploded into a ball of flames at an airshow near Madrid, Spain on Sunday.
The pilot died after suffering critical injuries.
35-year-old Ladislao Tejedor Romero died of his serious injuries and burns, according to an announcement by a spokesman for Spain's Defense Ministry. He was an experienced jet pilot who had served as an assistant to Defense Minister Pedor Morenes.
The plane exploded in front of 3,000 spectators who were watching the air show at Cuatro Vientos airfield. The historic plane that crashed was one of the first jet-propelled planes made in Spain.
The aircraft, a HA-200 Saeta, was built in the 1950s as an advanced jet trainer and later given a capability to attack, according to ministry spokesman Alfredo Florenza.
Footage of the plane diving and crashing into buildings has been caught on camera. Despite the severity of the crash, no one else was severely injured in the incident.
The pilot's father reportedly had an anxiety attack after witnessing the attack, and was transferred to hospital, according to Europa Press.
The cause of the crash is not yet known.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Sun, snow and storms: What role does weather play in the Bible?
- Sermon of the Year winner: 'God in the dark'
- Why 'The Benedict Option' is a good option for Christians
- We have them for schools and universities. Why not a league table for churches?
- Should I care about Martin Luther's 95 Theses?
- A martyr for our moment: 3 lessons from the radical Christian sacrifice of St Alban
- Cathedrals in crisis? Three ways we could support their growing ministry
- Most religious groups support gay marriage - with the exception of white evangelical Christians
- One reason your church may not be growing – and five things that might help
- Reports say 100 Christians may be hostages in Philippines battle between army and Islamist rebels
- Oil tanker explosion kills more than 120 in Pakistan
- 34 Tower blocks have failed fire safety checks across the country
- Landslide buries mountain village in southwest China, fears for 141 people
- Trump, Putin and Erdogan behave like autocratic rulers - Germany's Schulz
- Chile's President asks forgiveness from indigenous Mapuche ahead of Pope visit