Housekeeper finds bomb in teen's room (VIDEO): improvised explosive device (IED) found in Joshua Prater's room
A housekeeper found a bomb while she was cleaning out a teen's room in Arizona.
Joshua Prater was taken into custody after an improvised explosive device was found in in his room by a housekeeper, according to authorities. The 18-year-old attended Marcos De Niza High School.
Sgt. Mike Pooley, spokesman for Tempe Police Department, said the teen is suspected of misconduct involving weapons and possessing a prohibited weapon and improvised explosive device.
The housekeeper was cleaning the home that belonged to Prater's family when she discovered the device with wires sticking out in the room. Suspecting that it looked like a bomb, she took it to a fire station in Tempe to have it checked out.
When the firefighters realized what it was, they called the police, who confirmed that it was a disabled improvised explosive device (IED).
The unnamed woman told police that there were more suspicious materials in the teen's room, showing them photos that she took. The pictures showed the items used to make even more IEDs, according to Pooley.
The IED was reportedly created from a CO2 cartridge, low explosive powder, fireworks, match heads, and a hobby fuse.
"They had it X-rayed, they saw it was a valid IED. It was something that wasn't big, but could cause serious injuries and the death of someone," Pooley told MyFoxPhoenix.com.
Prater's house has been searched and authorities have notified school officials about the IED. The police plan to investigate whether there were any threats at the school.
The boy reportedly told police that he created it 10 years ago and did not know that it contained explosive powder, according to KPHO TV.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Amazing Grace: 7 quotes from the slaver-turned-preacher John Newton
- WANTED: Christian coders, techies and creatives. The CofE is inviting you to its first 'digital lab'
- Already worrying about Halloween and 'trick-or-treat'? This Christian charity has answers
- Pioneer ministry: How a new generation of ministers is changing the face of mission
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Was Jesus an extremist? 1 in 5 Brits thinks so
- Is the sidelining of religion a root cause of our mental health crisis?
- O.J. Simpson says he wishes he had 'been a better Christian' as he's granted parole
- What does 'home' mean to you? Are you like the Son of Man, with nowhere to lay your head?
- World Church leaders offer prayers for 'just peace' in Jerusalem
- A boy wrote to Pope Francis inviting him on a pilgrimage for sick children. He received a remarkable reply
- Tearfund's research into the faith of refugees is showing how religion is part of the solution, not just part of the problem
- Israel says Jerusalem mosque metal detectors to stay after bloody Palestinian clash
- Iraqi forces claim to have captured 16-year-old girl who ran away from Germany to marry ISIS jihadi
- More Christians handed harsh prison sentences in Iran; is Tehran afraid that Christianity is growing in the country?