Housekeeper finds bomb in teen's room (VIDEO): improvised explosive device (IED) found in Joshua Prater's room
A housekeeper found a bomb while she was cleaning out a teen's room in Arizona.
Joshua Prater was taken into custody after an improvised explosive device was found in in his room by a housekeeper, according to authorities. The 18-year-old attended Marcos De Niza High School.
Sgt. Mike Pooley, spokesman for Tempe Police Department, said the teen is suspected of misconduct involving weapons and possessing a prohibited weapon and improvised explosive device.
The housekeeper was cleaning the home that belonged to Prater's family when she discovered the device with wires sticking out in the room. Suspecting that it looked like a bomb, she took it to a fire station in Tempe to have it checked out.
When the firefighters realized what it was, they called the police, who confirmed that it was a disabled improvised explosive device (IED).
The unnamed woman told police that there were more suspicious materials in the teen's room, showing them photos that she took. The pictures showed the items used to make even more IEDs, according to Pooley.
The IED was reportedly created from a CO2 cartridge, low explosive powder, fireworks, match heads, and a hobby fuse.
"They had it X-rayed, they saw it was a valid IED. It was something that wasn't big, but could cause serious injuries and the death of someone," Pooley told MyFoxPhoenix.com.
Prater's house has been searched and authorities have notified school officials about the IED. The police plan to investigate whether there were any threats at the school.
The boy reportedly told police that he created it 10 years ago and did not know that it contained explosive powder, according to KPHO TV.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- What's really wrong with what Katie Hopkins said about Manchester
- After Manchester, 6 commandments for social media
- When Santa punched a heretic: Who was Saint Nicholas?
- WATCH: Pastor claims to be speaking to 'God' and 'Heaven' on his cell phone
- Thousands of Russian Orthodox faithful revere relics of St Nicholas in historic display
- Pope Francis: I was nicknamed 'stiff leg' during football at school
- How Martin Luther changed the world: 500 years of Protestantism
- The doctor who gave up his comfortable life for people with leprosy: 'Being out of my comfort zone has forced us to trust God.'
- William Gladstone's eight greatest quotes on the day he died
- Archbishops of Canterbury and York urge Manchester: 'Please do not be divided'
- Trump in Israel pays tribute to victims of Holocaust, 'history's darkest hour'
- 'I forgive and accept': Christian former governor of Jakarta withdraws appeal over imprisonment for 'insulting Islam'
- 'Justice is all we want': Fight for American pastor jailed in Turkey continues
- Manchester attack: Queen offers prayers and praise for people of Manchester
- Ivanka Trump to discuss human trafficking at Vatican as President meets Pope Francis