Black Forest Fire evacuation MAP [UPDATE]: Mandatory evacuation zone extended, fires may grow to 11,000 acres
The evacuation zone for the Black Forest Colorado fire which has been raging since Tuesday has expanded to the north and west today. The fire is expected to increase up to 11,000 acres.
The northern boundary of the evacuation zone has extended to Walker Road while the western boundary extended to Highway 83, according to ABC 7.
The Elbert County Sheriff has also announced residents of southern Elbert County to evacuate from the county line north to County Road 106 on north and N. Elbert Road on the east.
Officials estimate that up to 9,500 residents are in the evacuation area.
The weather remains dry and windy, making the fire very hard to control.
A voluntary evacuation has been issued for residents of the City of Colorado Springs. The zone covers West to I-25 and all areas north of Old Ranch Road within the City limits of Colorado Springs.
See below for an updated interactive map of the mandatory evacuation zone for the Black Forest fire based on the information shared by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
View Black Forest Fire Evacuation Map in a larger map
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- The faith perspective: How Psalm 33 speaks to our political reality
- London's fire-fighting bishop: Who was St Mellitus?
- Why does Jesus say 'If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven'?
- 'The Promise': An in-depth interview with the producer of this unmissable movie for Christians
- Security dominates French election after shooting
- St Anselm was one of the most influential Christians of the last 1,000 years. But who was he and what did he believe?
- Are Trump-supporting evangelicals isolating themselves from the unchurched they want to reach?
- 'The Selfish Gospel': Why salvation isn't all about me
- Who are the Jehovah's Witnesses? 5 things you should know
- Archaeologists uncover ancient Viking settlement underneath historic church ruins in Norway
- Many believe Ethiopia was the first country to accept Christianity – now for some it is being outlawed
- No bullet-proof glass for Pope Francis on Egypt visit
- Is this the oldest surviving image of the Virgin Mary?
- France now has a clear choice – which way will it turn?
- Persecuted Guatemalan pastor wins prestigious award for protecting his community