Black Forest Fire evacuation MAP [UPDATE]: Mandatory evacuation zone extended, fires may grow to 11,000 acres
The evacuation zone for the Black Forest Colorado fire which has been raging since Tuesday has expanded to the north and west today. The fire is expected to increase up to 11,000 acres.
The northern boundary of the evacuation zone has extended to Walker Road while the western boundary extended to Highway 83, according to ABC 7.
The Elbert County Sheriff has also announced residents of southern Elbert County to evacuate from the county line north to County Road 106 on north and N. Elbert Road on the east.
Officials estimate that up to 9,500 residents are in the evacuation area.
The weather remains dry and windy, making the fire very hard to control.
A voluntary evacuation has been issued for residents of the City of Colorado Springs. The zone covers West to I-25 and all areas north of Old Ranch Road within the City limits of Colorado Springs.
See below for an updated interactive map of the mandatory evacuation zone for the Black Forest fire based on the information shared by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
View Black Forest Fire Evacuation Map in a larger map
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- President Trump's first 100 days: What has he achieved so far?
- Can Pope Francis do anything to help Egypt's Christians?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 review: an atheist's God from beyond the stars
- What did Jesus mean when he said 'I am the vine'?
- Five inspiring TED talks you should watch this weekend
- 'He gives wisdom to the wise': 11 Bible verses about leadership
- Christians aren't reading the Bible. Why not, and what can we do about it?
- Pope Francis: Lust for power is like drinking gin on an empty stomach
- Ever feel people don't like you? Maybe it's a spiritual gift
- As floods and mudslides devastate Peru, victims ask for Bibles
- Former terrorist, rebel leader and drug trafficker, now a courageous pastor in Mexico
- Middle East Christians receive support from an unlikely place - the Muslim royal family
- Pope, at Cairo Mass, urges unity against fanaticism
- Saudi Arabia 'not paying its fair share' towards defence, says Trump
- German finance minister warns: No free lunch for Britain in Brexit negotiations