'Bates Motel' season 5 spoilers: Rihanna makes acting debut as Marion Crane
"Bates Motel" is currently on its fifth and final season, but the "Psycho" prequel is not leaving the small screen without adding a few more twists to the story. Tonight, award-winning singer Rihanna will make her acting debut in the first of a two-part episode as the iconic Marion Crane.
The Marion Crane character was originally played by Janet Leigh in "Psycho." Marion was on the run with stolen money from her boss, which led her to hide in a place called Bates Motel. She was the first leading lady to have been killed off at an earlier point of a film, being stabbed to death in the shower by Anthony Perkins' Norman Bates, who was supposedly under the control of his dead mother. Marion's horrific shower scene in the Alfred Hitchcock classic has inspired many horror filmmakers to include similar scenes in their movies.
Avid viewers of "Bates Motel" have long anticipated for more "Psycho" characters to appear on the show, and with the upcoming finale, executive producers Kerry Ehrin and Carlton Cuse thought it was about time to introduce the Marion Crane character. "As part of the grand plan we always talked about having Marion Crane enter the world of our show during the final season," Cuse told The Hollywood Reporter in an interview.
Ehrin added, "This season as we were breaking stories, it was more about trying to find a way to bring 'Psycho' into 'Bates Motel' in a way that was really meaningful to 'Bates Motel' but also allowed us to drop in and visit 'Psycho.'"
Rihanna revealed to Vanity Fair in 2015 that she was a fan of the "Bates Motel" series, which was what made the showrunners consider her for the role. Fortunately, the singer was interested in the idea, and now, she is finally going to grace the small screen as Marion Crane.
Actor Freddie Highmore, who plays Norman Bates in "Bates Motel," spoke with USA Today regarding Rihanna's performance on the show. "In combination with the writers, [Rihanna] has come up with a Marion Crane who serves as a wonderful throwback to 'Psycho' but at the same time is decidedly modern," he said. "We got to do some wonderful scenes together. She threw everything into it."
"Bates Motel" season 5 airs Mondays at 10 p.m. EDT on A&E. Rihanna will be appearing in the "Dreams Die First" episode tonight, and in the "Marion" episode on March 27.
Austin Carlile tweeted about the impact sharing his Christian faith has on his popularity but says it isn't going to stop him talking about God or Jesus to his fans.
Snoop Dogg shares preview clip of new Christian music project, 'Bible of Love', featuring gospel singer Fred Hammond
Snoop Dogg is giving the world a glimpse of his gospel music album, which already features a famous voice in gospel music, Fred Hammond.
- Is Justin Bieber quitting world tour to start his own church?
- Why we must open them every day: our 5-point plan to save Britain's churches
- Godfulness: What the Church can learn from a new (but old) kind of meditation
- What did Jesus mean when he condemned those who make children 'stumble'?
- Amazing Grace: 7 quotes from the slaver-turned-preacher John Newton
- WANTED: Christian coders, techies and creatives. The CofE is inviting you to its first 'digital lab'
- Already worrying about Halloween and 'trick-or-treat'? This Christian charity has answers
- Pioneer ministry: How a new generation of ministers is changing the face of mission
- How Christian and other faith communities are rebuilding trust in times of crisis
- Stage is set for the end times, believes John Hagee
- Israel removes metal detectors from Jerusalem mosque following bloody clashes; Palestine demands further repeal
- Anglican leader in Jamaica breaks ranks by calling for legalisation of sodomy
- Islamist militants in Kenya went house to house killing Christians
- Vatican shuts down fountains amid Italy drought, in line with Pope Francis' environment teachings
- Victory for campaigners as US judge blocks attempt to deport Iraqi Christians