Three bodies found on farm were dismissed as garbage by police (video); victims may be missing mother Kailey Bailey and baby Lana
Three bodies were found on a farm in Kansas by neighbors. The gruesome discovery was made Monday after a foul smell was detected by neighbors close to the site.
Kortni McGill and her friends Corey Schlotzhauer and Shona Osladil discovered the bodies when they went to the farm earlier this week to check on a friend who she hasn't heard from since April 25.
However, when she looked into the garage, she saw a tarp covering a dead body. It was weighed down by a cinder block. McGill and her friends originally went to the home on Sunday to see if they could find her friend.
They noticed the pungent smell coming from inside of the home, only to be initially dismissed by authorities as garbage. They even went to the garage where the source of the odor was, but dismissed that as garbage too.
However, McGill returned the next day with her two friends and did some sleuthing of her own, only to discover that the tarp was hiding a body underneath.
The tarp had a pile of baby clothes on top. When police were called, they found a burn barrel with baby clothes, a baby bottle and a sleeping bag.
"I reached down and saw teeth through the square in the cinder block. I said, 'Corey, there's a body here,'" McGill told the AP.
The police are trying to determine the identities of the bodies. They believe it may be that of 21-year-old Kaylie Bailey and her baby 18-month old daughter Lana, who were reported missing since Friday.
The owner of the house is Lana's father, and Bailey had planned to drop the child off there on Wednesday. "We are waiting for confirmation that it may or may not be Kaylie, and once we know, it will determine what direction we go from there," Olathe Police Sgt. Brad Caldwell told the AP.
Police have not found any suspects who may be involved with the gruesome deaths, but the Franklin County Sheriff's Office has named Kyle Flack as a person of interest in the case.
Flack previously served time for attempted second-degree murder and was only released last month. No other information has been released about Flack or why police want to speak to him.
Investigators are also searching the whereabouts of a black Toyota Corolla with the license plate number 618 DAA. "This is three homicides on one very large scene," said Sheriff Jeff Richards during a news conference. "We have more than 40 detectives here with various agencies to investigate this crime. The manner of death is going to be important to this investigation, so I don't want to reveal anything that might be crucial to helping us solve this case."
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Why Are Evangelicals So Bad At Dealing With Doubt?
- 3 ways Jesus challenges authority
- Is Lindsay Lohan Converting To Islam? Actress Denies Move After Posting Arabic Peace Message On Social Media
- Four evangelistic approaches which probably don't work
- Christian Movie Producer Mark Burnett On Ben Hur And The Forgiveness Of Christ
- Christian Gospel Star Travis Greene To Perform At Donald Trump Inauguration
- Pendant Similar To That Worn By Anne Frank Unearthed In Nazi Concentration Camp
- Five Evangelistic Ideas That Might Actually Work
- 5 Ways To Cheer Up On Blue Monday
- Russell Moore Blasts White Supremacy As 'Cruelly Cunning'
- 'His Glory Is On The Church': Syrians Converting To Christianity Amid Brutal Persecution
- Iraq Church Used As Shooting Range By ISIS Jihadis
- 'We See The Glass Half-Full': Aide To Palestinian President Welcomes Jared Kushner As Peace Envoy
- Christian Pastor Slams Germany's 'Kangaroo Court' Hearings Into Migrant Conversions
- South African Pastor Feeds Churchgoers Engine Fluid 'To Demonstrate The Power Of God'