Three bodies found on farm were dismissed as garbage by police (video); victims may be missing mother Kailey Bailey and baby Lana
Three bodies were found on a farm in Kansas by neighbors. The gruesome discovery was made Monday after a foul smell was detected by neighbors close to the site.
Kortni McGill and her friends Corey Schlotzhauer and Shona Osladil discovered the bodies when they went to the farm earlier this week to check on a friend who she hasn't heard from since April 25.
However, when she looked into the garage, she saw a tarp covering a dead body. It was weighed down by a cinder block. McGill and her friends originally went to the home on Sunday to see if they could find her friend.
They noticed the pungent smell coming from inside of the home, only to be initially dismissed by authorities as garbage. They even went to the garage where the source of the odor was, but dismissed that as garbage too.
However, McGill returned the next day with her two friends and did some sleuthing of her own, only to discover that the tarp was hiding a body underneath.
The tarp had a pile of baby clothes on top. When police were called, they found a burn barrel with baby clothes, a baby bottle and a sleeping bag.
"I reached down and saw teeth through the square in the cinder block. I said, 'Corey, there's a body here,'" McGill told the AP.
The police are trying to determine the identities of the bodies. They believe it may be that of 21-year-old Kaylie Bailey and her baby 18-month old daughter Lana, who were reported missing since Friday.
The owner of the house is Lana's father, and Bailey had planned to drop the child off there on Wednesday. "We are waiting for confirmation that it may or may not be Kaylie, and once we know, it will determine what direction we go from there," Olathe Police Sgt. Brad Caldwell told the AP.
Police have not found any suspects who may be involved with the gruesome deaths, but the Franklin County Sheriff's Office has named Kyle Flack as a person of interest in the case.
Flack previously served time for attempted second-degree murder and was only released last month. No other information has been released about Flack or why police want to speak to him.
Investigators are also searching the whereabouts of a black Toyota Corolla with the license plate number 618 DAA. "This is three homicides on one very large scene," said Sheriff Jeff Richards during a news conference. "We have more than 40 detectives here with various agencies to investigate this crime. The manner of death is going to be important to this investigation, so I don't want to reveal anything that might be crucial to helping us solve this case."
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- How 'intentional' are you - with yourself and with God?
- The 99 thoughts you have while listening to a sermon
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- The burning issue: Why the Church has got to start talking about hell
- Come to church this week for poets, rock stars, circus skills and 'champing'
- Lead us not into the temptations of Twitter, warns Pope Francis
- Hillary Clinton victory heralds a new day for women, says Tony Campolo
- Indian Christian forced to 'reconvert' among Hindu extremists' crackdown
- World Youth Day: Hundreds of thousands of young Catholics welcome Pope Francis to Poland
- Syria: Dozens killed in deadly ISIS blast
- Pastor buys dozens of tickets to win assault rifle in raffle – now he'll destroy it
- French Bishops call for day of fasting in response to Jacques Hamel killing