Susan Boyle: The suffering in the Philippines is 'heartbreaking'

(AP)
A Filipino man prays during a Mass at the damaged Santo Nino church, in Tacloban, Philippines, Sunday, November 17, 2013

Global singing star Susan Boyle, who shot to fame in 2009's 'Britain's Got Talent', has urged the public to keep giving what they can to support survivors of Typhoon Haiyan.

She was speaking in support of the Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund's work with partners Caritas Philippines and Catholic Relief Services in providing clean water, food, shelter and vital basic medicine and hygiene kits in many of the worst affected areas.

The country's National Disaster Agency has said the death toll is now officially over 5,000, with many more people still missing. Over four million homes are uninhabitable and up to 10 million have been affected by the devastating typhoon.

A long-time supporter of SCIAF, Ms Boyle has spoken of her support for the charity in the wake of the disaster.

"It's heartbreaking to see the terrible suffering of the people of the Philippines. The pictures of devastation on the television have really shocked me. I just can't imagine what it would be like to lose my home, family, friends and all I know. I don't know how I would cope. How would it be possible to carry on?

"I am a big supporter of SCIAF and I know they are helping as many people as they can. Please give whatever you can to help SCIAF's emergency appeal. Every penny will help to make a difference."

Lorraine Currie, SCIAF's Head of International Programmes, thanked supporters for their generosity so far, with the emergency appeal receiving £470,000 in just two weeks.

However, she stressed the importance of continued donations, saying that there are still thousands of survivors in desperate need.

"I would urge everyone to continue giving whatever they can so we can help the people of the Philippines recover from this terrible disaster," she said. 

What Others Are Reading
More News in World