Plague-infected squirrel forces shut down of Los Angeles campsites
A squirrel found to be infected with the plague has caused parts of a national forest in California to be evacuated and shut down.
Campsites in sections of the Angeles National Forest have been closed while more squirrels are tested for the infection.
Los Angeles health authorities have decided to keep the park open only for those hiking through. In the meantime the campsites will remain closed.
Visitors who do decide to take the risk are being advised to use insect repellent and make sure their pets are wearing flea collars.
Although its been centuries since the plague - known as the Black Death - killed in large numbers, the very mention of it can still strike fear into people.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
The bacterial infection killed as many as 25 million people in Europe during the Middle Ages and although today it can be treated successfully with antibiotics, it remains a serious condition. If left untreated, victims can die within four days.
The infected squirrel in the Angeles National Forest was discovered during a routine check.
It is believed that no human in the area has been infected.
Chief of Los Angeles County Department Public Health, Dr Jonathan Fielding, said in a statement: "It is important for the public to know that there have only been four cases of human plague in Los Angeles County residents since 1984, none of which were fatal."
Senior Anglican clergy have accused the British government of failing to take seriously the urgent plight of Christians facing persecution and death in Syria and Iraq.
A deep suspicion of the activity of foreign Christian organisations has led to a crisis for one of the largest and longest-established working in India today.
- 75 Thoughts You Have At A Carol Service
- Should Protestants Pay More Attention To Mary? And What's The Immaculate Conception Anyway?
- Twitter Lights Up For #NationalChristmasTreeDay
- Four Great Christmas Videos You Might Not Have Come Across
- How Many Presents Should Your Child Receive On Christmas Day?
- 'Father Forgive': How One Christian Woman Learnt To Forgive Her Husband's Murderers
- Are You Living With A Ten-Verse Bible? Here's Why It's So Dangerous For Your Spiritual Health
- Faith, Hope, And Politics: The Book You Need To Read In 2017
- Would Jesus Burn The Stars And Stripes?
- Orthodox Christians In Russian Town Protest Against New Condom Factory
- Musician Convicted Of Child Abuse Beaten To Death In Church
- Two Critical After Pastor Gave Congregation 'Liquid Substance' To Drink
- Victory In Sight For Syrian Army In Aleppo
- Christian Teacher Beaten Up By Muslim Villagers in Uganda for Converting From Islam
- Massive Dust Storm Forms 'Hand of God' Over Israeli Border to 'Protect Nation From ISIS — Just Like in Old Testament'