Pink dolphins in danger from polluted waters in Hong Kong; Numbers plummet to just 78 (video)
Rare pink dolphins in Hong Kong are in danger due to pollution and other threats, conservatives warned Monday. The Chinese white dolphins, often referred to as pink dolphins, have been declining in number in recent years, according to the Hong Kong Dolphin Society.
The number plummeted from 158 in 2003 to just 78 in 2011, and the number is expected to be even lower for 2012. Society chairman Samuel Hung says: "It is up to the government and every Hong Kong citizen to stand up for dolphins. We risk losing them unless we all take action."
A group of pink dolphins was spotted helping its mother support her dead calf's body by a tour guide two weeks ago. A video of the scene shows the grieving mother attempting to revive the calf.
"We're 99 per cent certain the calf died from toxins in the mother's milk, accumulated from polluted seawater," said Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spokeswoman Janet Walker. Most of the rare pink dolphins are found in Chinese waters and less than 2,500 live in the Pearl River Delta, which is between Macau and Hong Kong.
The number of the rare pink dolphins are believed to have dropped significantly due to overfishing, marine traffic increase, and water pollution in the area.
The Chinese white dolphins may appear as an albino dolphin to some. The pink color comes from blood vessels which were overdeveloped for thermoregulation.
Over 200 New Church Planters All Set To Begin Mission To Bring Gospel To Nepal: 'Strike While The Iron Is Hot'
A Christian organisation that seeks to spread God's Word to unreached areas of the world is all set to move forward with its outreach mission to Nepal, an overwhelmingly Hindu South Asian nation.
Proposed 'Safe Zone' For Christians In Iraq Draws This Question: Who Would Spread The Gospel To Muslims?
A "safe zone" to protect the persecuted Christians in Iraq sparked a lot of interest when it was proposed during a recent meeting in Washington D.C., participated in by Iraqi Christians, Yazidis and members of other religious minorities.
- How To Be A Really Bad Disciple
- Holy Fury: Why Christians Are Sometimes Just Too Nice
- When The Right Goes Bad: Why Christians Shouldn't Be Fooled By The 'Declaration Of Dependence '
- Should Christians Practise Yoga?
- How Can We Stop People Losing Their Faith?
- Why John Piper's View Of Christian Hierarchy Is Fundamentally Secular
- 10 Challenging Quotes From St Francis Of Assisi That Will Change The Way You View Faith
- Why Friendship Is A Better Investment Than Romance
- Can Christians Believe In Astrology?
- God Speaks To Iranian Teen, Compelling Him To Leave Islam To Follow Jesus Even At The Risk Of Death
- Former Buddhist Explains Why He Turned To Jesus: 'There Was Never A Personal Relationship With Any Of The Buddhas'
- Christians In China Forbidden From Singing Hymns And Praying
- More Christians Killed In Nigeria By Islamist Terrorists Of Boko Haram
- Shimon Peres, Lifelong Middle East Peace Campaigner, Dies At 93
- Archbishop Of Canterbury: Children Must Be Taught To Understand The Jihadist Mind