Pink dolphins in danger from polluted waters in Hong Kong; Numbers plummet to just 78 (video)
Rare pink dolphins in Hong Kong are in danger due to pollution and other threats, conservatives warned Monday. The Chinese white dolphins, often referred to as pink dolphins, have been declining in number in recent years, according to the Hong Kong Dolphin Society.
The number plummeted from 158 in 2003 to just 78 in 2011, and the number is expected to be even lower for 2012. Society chairman Samuel Hung says: "It is up to the government and every Hong Kong citizen to stand up for dolphins. We risk losing them unless we all take action."
A group of pink dolphins was spotted helping its mother support her dead calf's body by a tour guide two weeks ago. A video of the scene shows the grieving mother attempting to revive the calf.
"We're 99 per cent certain the calf died from toxins in the mother's milk, accumulated from polluted seawater," said Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spokeswoman Janet Walker. Most of the rare pink dolphins are found in Chinese waters and less than 2,500 live in the Pearl River Delta, which is between Macau and Hong Kong.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
The number of the rare pink dolphins are believed to have dropped significantly due to overfishing, marine traffic increase, and water pollution in the area.
The Chinese white dolphins may appear as an albino dolphin to some. The pink color comes from blood vessels which were overdeveloped for thermoregulation.
Jurors in the federal hate crimes trial of Dylann Roof watched a video on Friday of the avowed white supremacist confessing to killing nine parishioners at a historic black church in South Carolina and saying he felt he "had to do it."
The arrival in Israel this month of an ancient breed of sheep has been called a "prophetic precursor" for the building of the Third Temple in Jerusalem. In turn, the building of this temple is said to be one of the prophesied events leading to the Second Coming of Christ.
- 5 Ways To Be More Christlike This Christmas
- 'You Are The Light Of The World': How God Can Use You To Comfort Those Who Mourn
- Why The Local Church Is More Important Than Ever In The Digital Age
- What's Wrong With TULIP? Southern Baptists Resist 'Aggressive' Advance Of New Calvinism
- 75 Thoughts You Have At A Carol Service
- Should Protestants Pay More Attention To Mary? And What's The Immaculate Conception Anyway?
- Twitter Lights Up For #NationalChristmasTreeDay
- Four Great Christmas Videos You Might Not Have Come Across
- How Many Presents Should Your Child Receive On Christmas Day?
- CIA Says Russia Intervened To Help Trump Win White House
- Hospitals Destroyed And Millions Starving: The Crisis In Yemen Is Worsening
- Franklin Graham Slams Time Magazine For Comparison Of Hillary Clinton To Moses
- Donald Trump Chooses Climate Sceptic and Committed Christian Scott Pruitt For Top Environment Job
- Christian Politician Faces Controversial Blasphemy Trial In Indonesia
- British Government Has Failed The Christians Of Syria And Iraq, Senior Clergy Say