Pink dolphins in danger from polluted waters in Hong Kong; Numbers plummet to just 78 (video)
Rare pink dolphins in Hong Kong are in danger due to pollution and other threats, conservatives warned Monday. The Chinese white dolphins, often referred to as pink dolphins, have been declining in number in recent years, according to the Hong Kong Dolphin Society.
The number plummeted from 158 in 2003 to just 78 in 2011, and the number is expected to be even lower for 2012. Society chairman Samuel Hung says: "It is up to the government and every Hong Kong citizen to stand up for dolphins. We risk losing them unless we all take action."
A group of pink dolphins was spotted helping its mother support her dead calf's body by a tour guide two weeks ago. A video of the scene shows the grieving mother attempting to revive the calf.
"We're 99 per cent certain the calf died from toxins in the mother's milk, accumulated from polluted seawater," said Hong Kong Dolphinwatch spokeswoman Janet Walker. Most of the rare pink dolphins are found in Chinese waters and less than 2,500 live in the Pearl River Delta, which is between Macau and Hong Kong.
The number of the rare pink dolphins are believed to have dropped significantly due to overfishing, marine traffic increase, and water pollution in the area.
The Chinese white dolphins may appear as an albino dolphin to some. The pink color comes from blood vessels which were overdeveloped for thermoregulation.
Texas High School Allows 'Jesus' In Sponsor Logo on Sports Team's Jersey After Initially Rejecting It
A high school in Texas initially refused the help of a Christian businessman who wanted to use Jesus' name in a sponsorship logo, but eventually changed its decision after being called out by a religious freedom group.
Itasu and her friends don't look at all intimidating at a first glance, but when they get to business, they certainly are.
- 3 Ancient Prayers That Will Help You Encounter God In A New Way
- Is Your Giving Doing More Harm Than Good?
- 4 Ways To Encourage Young People To Lead In Church
- Aberfan: The Quiet Heroism Of The Wounded Healer
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- Opium Crops Spread In Afghanistan As Taliban Gains Ground
- Massacre In Mosul As Civilians Used As Human Shields
- 'Selective Reduction': Norway Allows Women to Legally Abort One of Their Twins Even If Baby Is Healthy
- Iraqi Army Liberates Christian Town As US Defence Secretary Flies In For Talks
- Iraqi Army Tries To Take Main Christian Town Near Mosul
- North Korean Woman Reveals How They Were Taught to Hate Christians