Penumbral eclipse 2013: Best time to see darker moon tonight
A penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on the evening of October 18, 2013.
The unusual eclipse, which happens when the moon passes through Earth's shadow, will make the moon appear redder than usual.
Penumbra derives from the Latin word meaning next-to-the-shadow. This means that during a penumbral eclipse, the sunlight is partially blocked, casting a shadow over the moon. The sun, moon and Earth are further out of the perfect alignment, and the sun's light is filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, which makes the moon appear darker than usual.
The best time to see this year's final penumbral eclipse of the Hunter's moon will be 7:51 p.m. ET and will be visible for hours.
However, those living in the Midwest or West Coast will not be able to see the eclipse.
People living in Europe or Africa will have a better view of the eclipse than those living in North America.
The lunar eclipse will be safe to watch with the naked eye.
The next penumbral lunar eclipse will take place in April 15, 2014.
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Billy Graham: 5 ways Christians can cope with the 'violence and destruction' all around
- Why we should think twice before singing 'Great is thy faithfulness'
- 'Hold onto Jesus' says priest and recovering alcoholic in video published after his death
- The Holocaust survivors who the Pope met at Auschwitz-Birkenau today
- Tim LaHaye and the end times: What should we believe about the end of the world?
- Analysis: How Hillary Clinton's abortion platform is the most liberal in Democrat history
- Jairus' daughter and the sick woman: What links these two stories?
- Finding Dory review: Beautiful and hilarious but too dangerous for my 10-year-old and 93,468 other children
- Who's backing Trump and who's for Clinton? The battle for evangelical endorsements
- 'Soul' leaving a body in China hospital captured on video?
- Turkey's President Erdogan claims West failed to show solidarity over coup attempt
- North Korea bans imports with markings resembling a cross
- Russian humanitarian operation in Syria may be 'ruse', US says
- U.S. President Barack Obama's Muslim half brother Malik says he's voting for Donald Trump
- Europe and U.S. face bigger terror attacks as ISIS loses ground in Mideast, FBI and CIA chiefs both warn