Penumbral eclipse 2013: Best time to see darker moon tonight
A penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on the evening of October 18, 2013.
The unusual eclipse, which happens when the moon passes through Earth's shadow, will make the moon appear redder than usual.
Penumbra derives from the Latin word meaning next-to-the-shadow. This means that during a penumbral eclipse, the sunlight is partially blocked, casting a shadow over the moon. The sun, moon and Earth are further out of the perfect alignment, and the sun's light is filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, which makes the moon appear darker than usual.
The best time to see this year's final penumbral eclipse of the Hunter's moon will be 7:51 p.m. ET and will be visible for hours.
However, those living in the Midwest or West Coast will not be able to see the eclipse.
People living in Europe or Africa will have a better view of the eclipse than those living in North America.
The lunar eclipse will be safe to watch with the naked eye.
The next penumbral lunar eclipse will take place in April 15, 2014.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Films About Faith: Christian Today's Alternative Oscars 2017
- The Lesson For Labour From Its Forgotten Christian Socialist Leader: For The Greater Good, Corbyn Should Resign
- Five Scriptures For When You're Feeling Confused
- The 21st Century Solution To Displaying 16th Century Luther Artefacts: Print Them In 3D
- 3 Strategies For Online Soul-Protection
- Will A Christian Film Win Best Picture? Christian Today's Oscar Predictions
- Exclusive Michael Gove Interview: On Trump Quitting Early, Not Talking To Cameron And Being A Flawed Christian
- New Planets Have Been Discovered That Could Support Alien Life. Here Are 10 Questions For Christians
- Brand New VeggieTales Brings Godly Vegetables Back To Netflix: Exclusive Clips
- We Have To Help Christians Fleeing Islamic State, Says Egypt's President Sisi
- In France, People Who Speak Against Abortion Will Now Be Treated As Criminals
- Christian Astrophysicist Sees Little Chance Of Alien Life In New Earth-Size Planets Discovered By NASA
- Christian Family Of ISIS Suicide Bomber Believe He Was 'Brainwashed'
- Drive-Through Ash Wednesday Blessings To Be Given Out At This Irish Church
- Opposition To Philippine's President Duterte Turn Historic Event Into Protest March