Penumbral eclipse 2013: Best time to see darker moon tonight
A penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on the evening of October 18, 2013.
The unusual eclipse, which happens when the moon passes through Earth's shadow, will make the moon appear redder than usual.
Penumbra derives from the Latin word meaning next-to-the-shadow. This means that during a penumbral eclipse, the sunlight is partially blocked, casting a shadow over the moon. The sun, moon and Earth are further out of the perfect alignment, and the sun's light is filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, which makes the moon appear darker than usual.
The best time to see this year's final penumbral eclipse of the Hunter's moon will be 7:51 p.m. ET and will be visible for hours.
However, those living in the Midwest or West Coast will not be able to see the eclipse.
People living in Europe or Africa will have a better view of the eclipse than those living in North America.
The lunar eclipse will be safe to watch with the naked eye.
The next penumbral lunar eclipse will take place in April 15, 2014.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 40 ways to invest in your marriage during Lent
- Victoria's Secret Lingerie Model Adriana Lima Reveals She Carries A Bible To Shows And Believes In 'Angels'
- This Tennessee Pastor Is Furious After Planned Parenthood Thanks Him For Donations: 'It Wasn't Me'
- Why This Old Testament Verse Is So Special - It's Full Of The Gospel
- 10 Things I've Tried – And Failed – To Give Up For Lent
- 8 Ways To Improve The Preaching In Your Church
- Remembering George Herbert: 10 Quotes From The Great Priest And Poet
- Tim Keller's Leaving Redeemer Presbyterian: 5 Lessons For Christian Leaders
- Films About Faith: Christian Today's Alternative Oscars 2017
- French Evangelicals Release 'Convictions' Document Ahead Of Elections
- Egypt Exodus: Hundreds Of Christians Flee As ISIS Militants Go On Killing Spree
- Bishop Angaelos Implores Action For Egypt's Coptic Christians 'Being Killed In The Streets'
- Where Is Jeff Woodke? Concern Grows For Missing US Missionary
- Mexican Church Says Trump Migrant Plans Are 'Terrorism'
- Chinese Pastor Arrested After Refusing State Surveillance Of Church