Penumbral eclipse 2013: Best time to see darker moon tonight
A penumbral lunar eclipse will take place on the evening of October 18, 2013.
The unusual eclipse, which happens when the moon passes through Earth's shadow, will make the moon appear redder than usual.
Penumbra derives from the Latin word meaning next-to-the-shadow. This means that during a penumbral eclipse, the sunlight is partially blocked, casting a shadow over the moon. The sun, moon and Earth are further out of the perfect alignment, and the sun's light is filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, which makes the moon appear darker than usual.
The best time to see this year's final penumbral eclipse of the Hunter's moon will be 7:51 p.m. ET and will be visible for hours.
However, those living in the Midwest or West Coast will not be able to see the eclipse.
People living in Europe or Africa will have a better view of the eclipse than those living in North America.
The lunar eclipse will be safe to watch with the naked eye.
The next penumbral lunar eclipse will take place in April 15, 2014.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- 10 Books Every Church Preacher Should Read
- 'Killer Clowns' And Flesh-Eating Zombies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Halloween
- The Offensive Teaching Of Jesus That Christians Have Tried To Tone Down
- This Christian Woman Was Locked In A Shipping Container And Tortured - Because She Kept Saying The Name Of Jesus
- 'God Helped Us Come Out of Bondage,' Say 21 Nigerian Schoolgirls Freed by Boko Haram Militants
- Muslim Children As Young As Five In Pakistan Are Being Taught To Hate Christians, Says Archbishop
- Fresh Blow To International Justice Body As South Africa Says It's Quitting
- Churches Around The World Ring Bells For Aleppo As Hundreds Slaughtered In Brutal Siege
- Nigerian Christians Massacred In 'Savage' Attack, At Least 40 Dead
- Charlie Hebdo Mocks New Russian Cathedral: Russians Say It's 'Blasphemous And Scandalous'