Watch Matthew McConaughey acceptance speech VIDEO: Winner of Best Actor Academy Award at Oscars 2014
The 86th Annual Academy Awards took place tonight, and Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor award, beating Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
See his acceptance speech below:
McConaughey's performance as HIV sufferer Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club has been critically acclaimed. Like fellow actor Christian Bale, he changed his physique dramatically and dropped his weight to take on the role of the AIDS sufferer.
Critics predicted that McConaughey will be the Best Actor winner this year, but he faced fierce competition with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Dicaprio was also a fan favorite to win after his impressive take on Jordan Belfort on The Wolf of Wall Street.
McConaughey had competition from British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, who also tipped for the award for his role as Solomon Northup in 12 Years A Slave.
The 2014 Oscars award ceremony took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood tonight, Mar. 2, 2014.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
Ex-ISIS child soldier recalls horror of seeing kids playing with severed heads of executed prisoners
ISIS has been known to exploit children and hone them into soldiers and assets for the group. One of them was a boy named Ibrahim, a former ISIS soldier whose horrific experience with the militant group are forever etched on his mind.
- It's not Christian to be nice
- Christian Small Group: The rejected TV pilot
- Earthquakes and floods: Is God punishing people?
- Does money really stop us getting into heaven?
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Revelation 2: Has the church lost its first love?
- Should Christian charities take atheists' money?
- Top 5 daily prayer apps to help your devotional life
- 'We are living in darkness': The heartbreaking suffering of refugees stranded in Greece
- It's OK for Christians to worry about refugees in U.S., religious freedom activist says
- Archbishop from Uganda says beating of children, wives at home should stop
- Italy earthquake: State funeral held for 35 victims
- Denmark: Friday prayers held at Scandinavia's first female-led mosque
- Scottish police call on help of priest to get rid of 'poltergeist' causing trouble inside a house
- Boko Haram leaves 1.4 million children displaced, dozens used as suicide bombers - Unicef