Watch Matthew McConaughey acceptance speech VIDEO: Winner of Best Actor Academy Award at Oscars 2014
The 86th Annual Academy Awards took place tonight, and Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor award, beating Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
See his acceptance speech below:
McConaughey's performance as HIV sufferer Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club has been critically acclaimed. Like fellow actor Christian Bale, he changed his physique dramatically and dropped his weight to take on the role of the AIDS sufferer.
Critics predicted that McConaughey will be the Best Actor winner this year, but he faced fierce competition with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Dicaprio was also a fan favorite to win after his impressive take on Jordan Belfort on The Wolf of Wall Street.
McConaughey had competition from British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, who also tipped for the award for his role as Solomon Northup in 12 Years A Slave.
The 2014 Oscars award ceremony took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood tonight, Mar. 2, 2014.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 5 Ways To Cheer Up On Blue Monday
- God, Grant Me The Serenity To Accept The Train Strikes I Cannot Change
- The Death Of John The Baptist: How To See God At Work In Tragedy
- Trump's Inauguration: Why Who Prays Is Always Controversial
- The 6 Religious Leaders Who Will Pray At Trump's Inauguration
- England Has One, America Never Has. Is A State Church A Good Idea?
- Seven Years On: What Haiti Tells Us About Extreme Poverty And The Gospel Of Hope
- She Saved Hundreds Of Twins From Being Murdered. Who Was Mary Slessor?
- 8 Ways We Can Use Technology to Grow Spiritual Disciplines
- Accused Attackers Of Christian Grandmother Stripped Naked By Muslim Mob Walk Free
- 'Demon-Possessed Man Clawed At Me, Uttered Unrepeatable Curses,' Recalls Archbishop After His First Exorcism
- Pope Francis Makes Passionate Appeal For Care Of Child Migrants
- Austria's Far-Right Freedom Party Calls For Ban On 'Fascistic Islam'
- Iraq Special Forces Sweep Mosul University For Remaining Militants
- 'God Requires Me to Forgive You': Kin of Shooting Victims Urge Dylann Roof to Turn to Christ As He Is Sentenced to Death