Watch Matthew McConaughey acceptance speech VIDEO: Winner of Best Actor Academy Award at Oscars 2014
The 86th Annual Academy Awards took place tonight, and Matthew McConaughey won the Best Actor award, beating Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
See his acceptance speech below:
McConaughey's performance as HIV sufferer Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club has been critically acclaimed. Like fellow actor Christian Bale, he changed his physique dramatically and dropped his weight to take on the role of the AIDS sufferer.
Critics predicted that McConaughey will be the Best Actor winner this year, but he faced fierce competition with Leonardo DiCaprio.
Dicaprio was also a fan favorite to win after his impressive take on Jordan Belfort on The Wolf of Wall Street.
McConaughey had competition from British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, who also tipped for the award for his role as Solomon Northup in 12 Years A Slave.
The 2014 Oscars award ceremony took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood tonight, Mar. 2, 2014.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 'The Shack', cosmic child abuse and 'Lies We Believe About God'
- Collateral damage: how factional fighting in the Church damages us all
- #PrayForLondon is the latest #PrayFor hashtag to trend. Sadly, there have been many others
- 6 Scripture verses about the heart – and why they don't mean what you think
- Study shows 'religious' countries are worse at science. What does this really tell us?
- 5 truths to cling to in the midst of uncertainty
- 'Identity' by Colton Dixon: An ambitious, vibrant and hopeful anthem
- Don't blame Islam, don't blame religion: It's people that make the world violent
- Persevering when times are tough: 6 scriptures to help you keep going
- Iraqi military says 61 bodies pulled from collapsed Mosul site
- Mosul civilian deaths confirmed – UN 'stunned by terrible loss of life'
- Voters blame everybody but Trump for Obamacare repeal failure
- Christians displaced by Boko Haram being denied food, relief goods in Nigerian refugee camps
- Evangelist thwarts attempt to silence him as Uganda court drops cases filed against him by Muslim extremists
- Douglas Carswell quits UKIP, says he will remain as independent MP