Olympic gold medallist dead: Andrew 'Bart' Simpson dies after boat capsized
A British gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games has died after the boat he was training in capsized in San Francisco Bay.
Andrew 'Bart' Simpson was training for the America's Cup in a 72-foot catamaran, Artemis, when it capsized, trapping him under the water on Thursday afternoon.
The 36-year-old was rescued from the water after 10 minutes but was later pronounced dead at the nearby St Francis Yacht Club.
Simpson won gold in China in 2008 and silver in London 2012 sailing alongside Iain Percy in the Star keelboat.
The tragedy comes just six months after Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay.
The Artemis Racing team has expressed its shock and sorrow over Simpson's death.
Paul Cayard, Artemis chief executive, said: "We obviously had a tragic day today on the bay and our thoughts and prayers are with Bart Simpson's - Andrew Simpson's - family, his wife and kids, and also with the rest of the team-mates.
"It is a shocking experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.
"The boat itself is under control, but it is certainly not the first of our concerns. We are focused on the people."That is what we are working with and on and we will give you more information when we are able to."
Javier Chavez had no complaints in doing his job as a senior store detective at Macy's, but when he stood up for his religious beliefs, he was promptly fired.
Australian schools are becoming more and more gender-neutral in order to appease the LGBT community, and Lyall Mercer, managing director of Mercer PR, believes that "America isn't far behind."
- Jairus' daughter and the sick woman: What links these two stories?
- Finding Dory review: Beautiful and hilarious but too dangerous for my 10-year-old and 93,468 other children
- Who's backing Trump and who's for Clinton? The battle for evangelical endorsements
- How 'intentional' are you - with yourself and with God?
- The 99 thoughts you have while listening to a sermon
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- Pastor forgives Muslim extremists who attacked his church, citing Exodus 14:14: 'The Lord shall fight for you'
- More and more Muslims in Egypt, Saudi Arabia leaving their faith, turned off by its teachings of violence and hatred
- How controversy over a march to celebrate the conversion of Russia highlights divisions in Ukraine
- Anglicans to build new centre in Spain for pilgrims on 'The Way' to Santiago de Compostela
- Church leaders appeal for calm as elections approach in South Africa
- Pope falls while celebrating Mass in Poland