Olympic gold medallist dead: Andrew 'Bart' Simpson dies after boat capsized
A British gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games has died after the boat he was training in capsized in San Francisco Bay.
Andrew 'Bart' Simpson was training for the America's Cup in a 72-foot catamaran, Artemis, when it capsized, trapping him under the water on Thursday afternoon.
The 36-year-old was rescued from the water after 10 minutes but was later pronounced dead at the nearby St Francis Yacht Club.
Simpson won gold in China in 2008 and silver in London 2012 sailing alongside Iain Percy in the Star keelboat.
The tragedy comes just six months after Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay.
The Artemis Racing team has expressed its shock and sorrow over Simpson's death.
Paul Cayard, Artemis chief executive, said: "We obviously had a tragic day today on the bay and our thoughts and prayers are with Bart Simpson's - Andrew Simpson's - family, his wife and kids, and also with the rest of the team-mates.
"It is a shocking experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.
"The boat itself is under control, but it is certainly not the first of our concerns. We are focused on the people."That is what we are working with and on and we will give you more information when we are able to."
Salvation is not a joke, Pope Francis told Christians on Sunday, urging them to get serious about their eternal life. Although God is a forgiving God, He will still close the door on salvation one day, he warned.
Whether you or your kids can't wait for the school gates to open or are dreading the first day back and every school day after that, the following prayers can all help you tell God how you feel and ask Him for what you need to get you through and find reasons to thank Him for the wonderful gift of education.
- Top 5 daily prayer apps to help your devotional life
- Finding God in the midst of suffering
- Rahab the prostitute: Was she a traitor or a heroine?
- Why going to church could be the best way of evangelising
- Tom Daley and Christian Voice: What the Twitter row really has to teach us
- Why being part of a church is not optional for Christians
- Seduction and beheading: What a dark Bible story tells us about goodness
- Why it's time to stop saying 'God has a special someone planned for you'
- The Story of Christ: Feature film shot in virtual reality to be released this Christmas
- Parents give the credit to God after their 16-year-old son survives deadly brain-eating amoeba
- Egypt: Knife-wielding attacker shot dead after stabbing guard at Coptic church
- Mark Driscoll hits out at polygamy and warns it could be legal within two decades
- As a follower of Jesus it is your duty to vote, says US Episcopal Church leader
- Religious freedom at 'serious risk' at Christian universities, presidents warn
- Anglican Church in Nigeria builds trauma centre for victims of Boko Haram