Motorcycle crashes 285 mph [VIDEO]: Bill Warner dies trying to top 300 mph, veered off runway, lunged 40 feet high
A motorcycle racer has died after crashing at 285 mph on Sunday in front of 400 spectators.
Bill Warner, 44, lost control of his motorcycle as he tried to top 300 mph speeds.
Warner was racing at a former air base in northern Maine when his motorcycle zoomed off the runway.
The racer, from Wimauma, was doing speeds of 285 just before he lost control, but it is not known whether he was traveling faster than that when he crashed off the runway. The motorcycle suddenly veered hard to the right and witnesses say that he was lunged 40 feet high and 100 yards down the track.
Warner was taking part in "The Maine Event" at Loring Air Force Base before he crashed just before 10 a.m. He was conscious and was said to be talking after the crash, but died of his injuries an hour and 15 minuts later at a hospital.
"No one will touch Bill's achievements or be the type of racer he was. He was a personal friend and the land-racing community is less for his loss," said Tim Kelly, race director of the Loring Timing Association.
Warner previously set the world land speed record with a Suzuki Kayabusa by clocking 311 mph in 2011 on 1.5 miles of pavement. He had tried to top his record by going for 300 mph by using just one mile of pavement.
The Maine Event is held annually at the former Strategic Air Command base. 2.5 miles of the 14,200 foot-long runway is used for the event.
The event was cancelled after the crash and local police departments are currently investigating the circumstances of the crash.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- 4 Ways To Encourage Young People To Lead In Church
- Aberfan: The Quiet Heroism Of The Wounded Healer
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- 10 Books Every Church Preacher Should Read
- 'Killer Clowns' And Flesh-Eating Zombies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Halloween
- Massacre In Mosul As Civilians Used As Human Shields
- 'Selective Reduction': Norway Allows Women to Legally Abort One of Their Twins Even If Baby Is Healthy
- Iraqi Army Liberates Christian Town As US Defence Secretary Flies In For Talks
- Iraqi Army Tries To Take Main Christian Town Near Mosul
- North Korean Woman Reveals How They Were Taught to Hate Christians
- 5 Out of 6 Christians In Iraq Have Been Forced To Flee Since 2003