Madrid air show plane crash video: 3,000 spectators watch plane explode in flames - pilot dies
A jet plane crashed into a hangar and exploded into a ball of flames at an airshow near Madrid, Spain on Sunday.
The pilot died after suffering critical injuries.
35-year-old Ladislao Tejedor Romero died of his serious injuries and burns, according to an announcement by a spokesman for Spain's Defense Ministry. He was an experienced jet pilot who had served as an assistant to Defense Minister Pedor Morenes.
The plane exploded in front of 3,000 spectators who were watching the air show at Cuatro Vientos airfield. The historic plane that crashed was one of the first jet-propelled planes made in Spain.
The aircraft, a HA-200 Saeta, was built in the 1950s as an advanced jet trainer and later given a capability to attack, according to ministry spokesman Alfredo Florenza.
Footage of the plane diving and crashing into buildings has been caught on camera. Despite the severity of the crash, no one else was severely injured in the incident.
The pilot's father reportedly had an anxiety attack after witnessing the attack, and was transferred to hospital, according to Europa Press.
The cause of the crash is not yet known.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- The Mystery Of Millennials: They Aren't Who You Think They Are
- Sunday Swimming Row In Scotland Makes A Splash
- Rome's Catholics And Jews Unite In Art Exhibition Celebrating Ancient Biblical Symbol
- 'Chariots Of Fire' Star Eric Liddell: A Life Dedicated To His God
- Moonlight Star Speaks Of Abuse After Converting From Christianity To Islam
- Planning A Christian Wedding? Here Are Eight Tips
- What I Learned At Soul Survivor's #NaturallySupernatural Conference
- Not Ashamed Of The Gospel: How Paul Still Speaks To Us Today
- Fixer Upper Stars Launch New Wallpaper Range – 'They Completely Transform A Room'
- Islamic Leader Promises To Protect Christians And Hindus From Persecution
- U.S. Republicans, Democrats Unite To Support Pastor Imprisoned In Turkey, Ask Turkish President To Free Him
- Pope Blasts Politicians For 'Populist Rhetoric' And 'Self-Centredness' Over Migrants
- Archbishop Of Canterbury Warns Of Crisis In South Sudan As Millions Face Starvation
- Milo Yiannopoulos Dis-Invited By Conservative Conference After Pressure From Christians
- China Arrests 4 South Korean Missionaries, Expels 32 More After Raids on Churches