Lyrids meteor shower April 22-23, 2014 [Peak times]: April's skies to see four blood moons, star show, and Mars
The universe has a lot to offer us this spring and those who watch the skies are preparing for April's rare events. Along with the four blood moons that the Earth will get a glimpse of in the 2014-2015 season, the Huntsville Times reports that on April 14, Mars will be pretty close to the Earth. Only 57 million miles away (92.4 million kilometers) to be exact.
On April 8, the planets will be at opposition. This means that Mars, Earth and the sun are in a straight line. This happens every 26 months. This time around, however, the event will put Mars at its closest point to the Earth since Jan. 3, 2008, says Space.com. The site also reports that Mars will look just like a bright, fiery-colored star, resembling Sirius, the brightest star in the universe.
April will also bring The Lyrids Meteor shower, (a collection of meteors) expected to happen after midnight on April 22. Onlookers will be able to see at least 20 meteors an hour.Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) explained in a blog post that the meteors are expected to put on a bright display in the sky.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
Dr Tony Phillips, also of NASA , explained in another blog post that the meteors, which he refers to as flakes of comet dust, are no bigger than grains of sand and will strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating and giving off streaks of light.
Viewers can expect to watch the meteor shower without binoculars or telescopes, Space.com reports. Those watching will be able to view the shower until 2 a.m.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- 6 Worships Songs You Might Not Know, But Should
- After Trump, What Now For Christians In America? Obama Faith Advisor Speaks Out
- From Bethlehem To Bedford: What If Mary And Joseph Were 21st Century Refugees?
- 10 Brilliant Ways To Countdown To Christmas With Your Kids
- Archbishop Of York: Government Must Not 'Scapegoat' Migrants For Failures In Housing And Jobs
- Buzzfeed, Fixer Upper, And Gay Marriage: 3 Questions To Ask
- Why We Need To Stop Calling Our Opponents 'Evil'
- Scorsese Meets With Pope Before Vatican Screening Of Oscar-Tipped Christian Persecution Movie
- Netflix's 'Stranger Things' Inspires Christian Charity Christmas Video
- Archbishop Of Nigeria To Settle Row Between Bishop And His Church After They Locked Him Out
- The Calais Refugee 'Problem' Has Merely Been Displaced, Not Solved
- Thousands Fleeing ISIS At Risk As Temperatures Plummet Near Mosul
- Religious Freedom 'Deteriorated Tremendously' In 2016
- 200,000 Muslims Protest In Jakarta To Demand Jail For Christian Governor
- Ancient Set of Books Mentioning Jesus Christ Is Genuine, Scholars Confirm