Lyrids meteor shower April 22-23, 2014 [Peak times]: April's skies to see four blood moons, star show, and Mars
The universe has a lot to offer us this spring and those who watch the skies are preparing for April's rare events. Along with the four blood moons that the Earth will get a glimpse of in the 2014-2015 season, the Huntsville Times reports that on April 14, Mars will be pretty close to the Earth. Only 57 million miles away (92.4 million kilometers) to be exact.
On April 8, the planets will be at opposition. This means that Mars, Earth and the sun are in a straight line. This happens every 26 months. This time around, however, the event will put Mars at its closest point to the Earth since Jan. 3, 2008, says Space.com. The site also reports that Mars will look just like a bright, fiery-colored star, resembling Sirius, the brightest star in the universe.
April will also bring The Lyrids Meteor shower, (a collection of meteors) expected to happen after midnight on April 22. Onlookers will be able to see at least 20 meteors an hour.Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) explained in a blog post that the meteors are expected to put on a bright display in the sky.
Dr Tony Phillips, also of NASA , explained in another blog post that the meteors, which he refers to as flakes of comet dust, are no bigger than grains of sand and will strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating and giving off streaks of light.
Viewers can expect to watch the meteor shower without binoculars or telescopes, Space.com reports. Those watching will be able to view the shower until 2 a.m.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
Ex-ISIS child soldier recalls horror of seeing kids playing with severed heads of executed prisoners
ISIS has been known to exploit children and hone them into soldiers and assets for the group. One of them was a boy named Ibrahim, a former ISIS soldier whose horrific experience with the militant group are forever etched on his mind.
- What do you do when you just don't like someone?
- The dress code for a disciple of Christ
- Denmark: Friday prayers held at Scandinavia's first female-led mosque
- It's not Christian to be nice
- Christian Small Group: The rejected TV pilot
- Earthquakes and floods: Is God punishing people?
- Does money really stop us getting into heaven?
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Revelation 2: Has the church lost its first love?
- Couple lose child against their wishes after court lifts temporary halt on pulling life support
- Church officials in Ghana stand up for residents whose lands are being stolen from them
- Yazidi girl disfigures self by burning her face and body to avoid becoming an ISIS sex slave
- How one youth pastor is bringing hope to persecuted Christians in Iraq
- Anglicans consider new synod to oppose gay marriage
- Full ban on burkinis would stoke tensions, admits French minister