Lyrids meteor shower April 22-23, 2014 [Peak times]: April's skies to see four blood moons, star show, and Mars
The universe has a lot to offer us this spring and those who watch the skies are preparing for April's rare events. Along with the four blood moons that the Earth will get a glimpse of in the 2014-2015 season, the Huntsville Times reports that on April 14, Mars will be pretty close to the Earth. Only 57 million miles away (92.4 million kilometers) to be exact.
On April 8, the planets will be at opposition. This means that Mars, Earth and the sun are in a straight line. This happens every 26 months. This time around, however, the event will put Mars at its closest point to the Earth since Jan. 3, 2008, says Space.com. The site also reports that Mars will look just like a bright, fiery-colored star, resembling Sirius, the brightest star in the universe.
April will also bring The Lyrids Meteor shower, (a collection of meteors) expected to happen after midnight on April 22. Onlookers will be able to see at least 20 meteors an hour.Jane Houston Jones of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) explained in a blog post that the meteors are expected to put on a bright display in the sky.
Dr Tony Phillips, also of NASA , explained in another blog post that the meteors, which he refers to as flakes of comet dust, are no bigger than grains of sand and will strike the Earth's atmosphere at 110,000 miles per hour before disintegrating and giving off streaks of light.
Viewers can expect to watch the meteor shower without binoculars or telescopes, Space.com reports. Those watching will be able to view the shower until 2 a.m.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- Holy Fury: Why Christians Are Sometimes Just Too Nice
- When The Right Goes Bad: Why Christians Shouldn't Be Fooled By The 'Declaration Of Dependence '
- Should Christians Practise Yoga?
- How Can We Stop People Losing Their Faith?
- Why John Piper's View Of Christian Hierarchy Is Fundamentally Secular
- 10 Challenging Quotes From St Francis Of Assisi That Will Change The Way You View Faith
- Why Friendship Is A Better Investment Than Romance
- Can Christians Believe In Astrology?
- The Lie Single Christians Believe And How It's Harming Mission
- Syrian Government Launches Aleppo Ground Attack
- ISIS Executes 6 Fighters By Crushing Them With A Bulldozer
- Thousands of people accept Jesus Christ into their hearts as missionaries spark revival in Kenya
- Iraqi Parliament Votes Against New Christian Province In Nineveh Plain
- Thousands protest against same-sex marriage plan in Mexico, call for defence of family values, marriage institution
- Christian missionary ready to risk death to spread the Gospel in his war-torn home of South Sudan