Kermit Gosnell verdict reached [VIDEO]: Guilty or not guilty? Unanimous jury decides fate of abortion doctor
A verdict has been reached in the controversial case against Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell.
Gosnell has been charged with the deaths of four babies born alive and the death of one woman. He is said to have murdered live babies by snipping their necks spinal cords.
The death of the woman, Karnamaya Mongar, is said to have resulted from a botched legal abortion. He had allegedly given her a lethal dose of sedatives and painkillers.
If the jury finds him guilty, Gosnell may face the death penalty.
Gosnell has been jailed since his arrest in January 2011.
According to state prosecutors, Goswell's staff at the Women's Medical Society in West Philadelphia were not licensed nurses or doctors. One staff member was only a high school student.
The testimonies that came from his former staff members shocked the nation. Eight staff members have pleaded guilty to several crimes in relation to Goswell's case.
Adrienne Moton, a medical assistant who worked with Goswell, testified in court in March that she had snipped the spines of at least 10 babies born alive. She had taken a cellphone picture of a baby that was killed at the clinic. She said the baby was about 30 weeks and that she thought he would have survived. She testified that Goswell said the baby was "so big he could have walked to the bus stop."
She testified that she once killed a baby that was delivered in the toilet.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
Gosnell ran the illegal clinic for decades and was only discovered when FBI raided his clinic when they suspected it of prescription drug dealing.
However, what they found was far worse than drug dealing.
In a 300-page grand jury report released after Goswell's arrest, the clinic was described as a "house of horrors" as investigators found fetal remains frozen in freezers, in jars, with blood and urine on the floor.
There had reportedly been hundreds of "snippings" of babies' necks if they were born alive.
According to the report, "Gosnell had a simple solution for the unwanted babies he delivered… The way he ensured fetal demise was by sticking scissors into the back of the baby's neck and cutting the spinal cord. He called that 'snipping.'"
The report also stated that instruments were not washed and that many women were infected with sexually transmitted diseases due to the unsanitary conditions of the clinic.
Watch a video describing the "house of horrors" below:
If the population of the United States was distilled into a village of just 100 people, just nine of them would be atheists.
Barack Obama's former faith advisor has spoken about the future for Christians in politics after the divisive and shocking events of the 2016 US election.
- 6 Worships Songs You Might Not Know, But Should
- After Trump, What Now For Christians In America? Obama Faith Advisor Speaks Out
- From Bethlehem To Bedford: What If Mary And Joseph Were 21st Century Refugees?
- 10 Brilliant Ways To Countdown To Christmas With Your Kids
- Archbishop Of York: Government Must Not 'Scapegoat' Migrants For Failures In Housing And Jobs
- Buzzfeed, Fixer Upper, And Gay Marriage: 3 Questions To Ask
- Why We Need To Stop Calling Our Opponents 'Evil'
- Scorsese Meets With Pope Before Vatican Screening Of Oscar-Tipped Christian Persecution Movie
- Netflix's 'Stranger Things' Inspires Christian Charity Christmas Video
- Archbishop Of Nigeria To Settle Row Between Bishop And His Church After They Locked Him Out
- The Calais Refugee 'Problem' Has Merely Been Displaced, Not Solved
- Thousands Fleeing ISIS At Risk As Temperatures Plummet Near Mosul
- Religious Freedom 'Deteriorated Tremendously' In 2016
- 200,000 Muslims Protest In Jakarta To Demand Jail For Christian Governor
- Ancient Set of Books Mentioning Jesus Christ Is Genuine, Scholars Confirm