Kermit Gosnell verdict reached [VIDEO]: Guilty or not guilty? Unanimous jury decides fate of abortion doctor
A verdict has been reached in the controversial case against Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell.
Gosnell has been charged with the deaths of four babies born alive and the death of one woman. He is said to have murdered live babies by snipping their necks spinal cords.
The death of the woman, Karnamaya Mongar, is said to have resulted from a botched legal abortion. He had allegedly given her a lethal dose of sedatives and painkillers.
If the jury finds him guilty, Gosnell may face the death penalty.
Gosnell has been jailed since his arrest in January 2011.
According to state prosecutors, Goswell's staff at the Women's Medical Society in West Philadelphia were not licensed nurses or doctors. One staff member was only a high school student.
The testimonies that came from his former staff members shocked the nation. Eight staff members have pleaded guilty to several crimes in relation to Goswell's case.
Adrienne Moton, a medical assistant who worked with Goswell, testified in court in March that she had snipped the spines of at least 10 babies born alive. She had taken a cellphone picture of a baby that was killed at the clinic. She said the baby was about 30 weeks and that she thought he would have survived. She testified that Goswell said the baby was "so big he could have walked to the bus stop."
She testified that she once killed a baby that was delivered in the toilet.
Gosnell ran the illegal clinic for decades and was only discovered when FBI raided his clinic when they suspected it of prescription drug dealing.
However, what they found was far worse than drug dealing.
In a 300-page grand jury report released after Goswell's arrest, the clinic was described as a "house of horrors" as investigators found fetal remains frozen in freezers, in jars, with blood and urine on the floor.
There had reportedly been hundreds of "snippings" of babies' necks if they were born alive.
According to the report, "Gosnell had a simple solution for the unwanted babies he delivered… The way he ensured fetal demise was by sticking scissors into the back of the baby's neck and cutting the spinal cord. He called that 'snipping.'"
The report also stated that instruments were not washed and that many women were infected with sexually transmitted diseases due to the unsanitary conditions of the clinic.
Watch a video describing the "house of horrors" below:
Christian Prayer: U.S. Court Rules It Illegal, But One City Fights To Bring It Back To Council Meetings
In the city of Wilmington, Delaware, some local officials are seeking to bring prayer back to their council meetings. However, in Jackson County, Michigan, the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that Christian-only prayer at commission meetings is illegal.
McCain, a known Trump critic, told the Munich Security Conference that the resignation of the new president's security adviser Michael Flynn over his contacts with Russia reflected deep problems in Washington.
- 'Supergroup' Of Chorister Kids Releases Album Of Choral Classics
- The Great Wall Review: A Boundary-Shifting Movie That Might Get Donald Trump Worried
- Why We Should Not Take Ourselves Too Seriously: 7 Fun Looks At Evangelical Christian Culture
- Why Did Jesus Ask A Blind Man If He Wanted Healing?
- A Radical Way To Buy Your Own Home - Thanks To God And Christian Mission
- 8 Moments You'll Only Understand If You're A Calvinist
- Why Trump's Rambling, Incoherent Press Conference Is So Worrying
- When Are British Bank Holidays In 2017?
- Why Christians Should Beware Of Random Acts Of Kindness
- ISIS Drowns 13 Civilians, Execute 8 Others In Mosul, Kirkuk On Charges of Collaborating With The Enemy
- Christians In Mideast Reject Trump Plan To Prioritise U.S. Resettlement Of Christian Refugees: 'Wrong Message, Wrong Policy'
- Boko Haram Has Murdered 100,000, Displaced 2 Million In War To Wipe Out Christianity In Nigeria
- Malaysia Arrests North Korean Man As Row Over Kim Jong Nam's Death Escalates
- Islamist Extremists Spill More Christian Blood In Egypt Amid Fears That More Attacks Are Forthcoming
- Mother Of Man Who Killed Pastor Turns To Christ After Church Shows Forgiveness, Compassion