Hurricane Barbara 2013 Path Map [VIDEO]: Category 1 hurricane to make landfall on Mexico's Pacific coast
Hurricane Barbara 2013 is heading towards Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
The hurricane is expected to make landfall before the end of the day, according to forecasters.
Emergency shelters are now being prepared by officials in the southern coastal state of Oaxaca.
Classes in schools were also suspended in the region on Wednesday as heavy rains moved into the area ahead of the hurricane.
Hurricane Barbara was located on Wednesday afternoon about 65 miles east southeast of Salina Cruz, Mexico.
It is expected to hit the east coast near the port city of Salina Cruz, which to a large extent is undeveloped with coastal lagoons stretching up the coast spotted with various fishing villages.
Experts have predicted that the hurricane will weaken significantly as soon as it makes landfall, and should be a lot weaker by the time it reaches the major oil port of Coatzacoalcos, which is located on the other side of the narrow waist of Mexico known as the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
Officials have issued a hurricane warning for the Pacific coast from Puerto Angel to Barra de Tonala. It is expected that Hurricane Barbara will hit with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as a Category 1 hurricane.
Some reports out of the region have said that heavy rains have already begun to flood some residences along the coastal regions, and those living in the region are bracing themselves Wednesday evening for the hurricane's arrival.
Strom shelters have been set up in 20 towns and hamlets, according to AP, and it has already been announced that school classes in the area will be closed for the entire week.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- The Mystery Of Millennials: They Aren't Who You Think They Are
- Sunday Swimming Row In Scotland Makes A Splash
- Rome's Catholics And Jews Unite In Art Exhibition Celebrating Ancient Biblical Symbol
- 'Chariots Of Fire' Star Eric Liddell: A Life Dedicated To His God
- Moonlight Star Speaks Of Abuse After Converting From Christianity To Islam
- Planning A Christian Wedding? Here Are Eight Tips
- What I Learned At Soul Survivor's #NaturallySupernatural Conference
- Not Ashamed Of The Gospel: How Paul Still Speaks To Us Today
- Fixer Upper Stars Launch New Wallpaper Range – 'They Completely Transform A Room'
- Pope Blasts Politicians For 'Populist Rhetoric' And 'Self-Centredness' Over Migrants
- Archbishop Of Canterbury Warns Of Crisis In South Sudan As Millions Face Starvation
- Milo Yiannopoulos Dis-Invited By Conservative Conference After Pressure From Christians
- China Arrests 4 South Korean Missionaries, Expels 32 More After Raids on Churches
- Captured ISIS Militant Freely Admits Raping 200 Women From Iraqi Minorities, Says It Was 'Normal'
- Iraq Poised For Disaster As 750,000 Civilians Remain Trapped In ISIS-Held Mosul