Hurricane Barbara 2013 Path Map [VIDEO]: Category 1 hurricane to make landfall on Mexico's Pacific coast
Hurricane Barbara 2013 is heading towards Mexico's southern Pacific coast.
The hurricane is expected to make landfall before the end of the day, according to forecasters.
Emergency shelters are now being prepared by officials in the southern coastal state of Oaxaca.
Classes in schools were also suspended in the region on Wednesday as heavy rains moved into the area ahead of the hurricane.
Hurricane Barbara was located on Wednesday afternoon about 65 miles east southeast of Salina Cruz, Mexico.
It is expected to hit the east coast near the port city of Salina Cruz, which to a large extent is undeveloped with coastal lagoons stretching up the coast spotted with various fishing villages.
Experts have predicted that the hurricane will weaken significantly as soon as it makes landfall, and should be a lot weaker by the time it reaches the major oil port of Coatzacoalcos, which is located on the other side of the narrow waist of Mexico known as the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
Officials have issued a hurricane warning for the Pacific coast from Puerto Angel to Barra de Tonala. It is expected that Hurricane Barbara will hit with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as a Category 1 hurricane.
Some reports out of the region have said that heavy rains have already begun to flood some residences along the coastal regions, and those living in the region are bracing themselves Wednesday evening for the hurricane's arrival.
Strom shelters have been set up in 20 towns and hamlets, according to AP, and it has already been announced that school classes in the area will be closed for the entire week.
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Jairus' daughter and the sick woman: What links these two stories?
- Finding Dory review: Beautiful and hilarious but too dangerous for my 10-year-old and 93,468 other children
- Who's backing Trump and who's for Clinton? The battle for evangelical endorsements
- How 'intentional' are you - with yourself and with God?
- The 99 thoughts you have while listening to a sermon
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- Pastor forgives Muslim extremists who attacked his church, citing Exodus 14:14: 'The Lord shall fight for you'
- More and more Muslims in Egypt, Saudi Arabia leaving their faith, turned off by its teachings of violence and hatred
- How controversy over a march to celebrate the conversion of Russia highlights divisions in Ukraine
- Anglicans to build new centre in Spain for pilgrims on 'The Way' to Santiago de Compostela
- Church leaders appeal for calm as elections approach in South Africa
- Pope falls while celebrating Mass in Poland