Housekeeper finds bomb in teen's room (VIDEO): improvised explosive device (IED) found in Joshua Prater's room
A housekeeper found a bomb while she was cleaning out a teen's room in Arizona.
Joshua Prater was taken into custody after an improvised explosive device was found in in his room by a housekeeper, according to authorities. The 18-year-old attended Marcos De Niza High School.
Sgt. Mike Pooley, spokesman for Tempe Police Department, said the teen is suspected of misconduct involving weapons and possessing a prohibited weapon and improvised explosive device.
The housekeeper was cleaning the home that belonged to Prater's family when she discovered the device with wires sticking out in the room. Suspecting that it looked like a bomb, she took it to a fire station in Tempe to have it checked out.
When the firefighters realized what it was, they called the police, who confirmed that it was a disabled improvised explosive device (IED).
The unnamed woman told police that there were more suspicious materials in the teen's room, showing them photos that she took. The pictures showed the items used to make even more IEDs, according to Pooley.
The IED was reportedly created from a CO2 cartridge, low explosive powder, fireworks, match heads, and a hobby fuse.
"They had it X-rayed, they saw it was a valid IED. It was something that wasn't big, but could cause serious injuries and the death of someone," Pooley told MyFoxPhoenix.com.
Prater's house has been searched and authorities have notified school officials about the IED. The police plan to investigate whether there were any threats at the school.
The boy reportedly told police that he created it 10 years ago and did not know that it contained explosive powder, according to KPHO TV.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- Why It's Ok To Be A 'Spineless Christian'
- The Glorious Truth Of All Saints Day, And Why It's Better Than Halloween
- Light Out Of Darkness: A Review Of Leonard Cohen's 'You Want It Darker'
- Are Churches Really As Unwelcoming As Surveys Say?
- Why Pope Francis May Get The Cold Shoulder In Sweden
- God & The Presidency: The Faith of Dwight D Eisenhower
- Why I Left Church And Why I'm Going Back Again
- Out Of The Darkness: How God Transformed A Violent Criminal
- Three Places That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- Why Are English Cathedrals So Successful? Government Minister Begins Grand Tour To Find Out
- Pope Francis Accepts Invitation From South Sudan Church Leaders To Visit War-Torn Nation
- ISIS Genocide Must Be Punished In Court - Leading European Politicians
- ISIS Abduct 'Tens Of Thousands' To Use As Human Shields In Mosul
- Exclusive: Mystery Over Whether Gay Vicar 'Outed' The Bishop Of Grantham