Housekeeper finds bomb in teen's room (VIDEO): improvised explosive device (IED) found in Joshua Prater's room
A housekeeper found a bomb while she was cleaning out a teen's room in Arizona.
Joshua Prater was taken into custody after an improvised explosive device was found in in his room by a housekeeper, according to authorities. The 18-year-old attended Marcos De Niza High School.
Sgt. Mike Pooley, spokesman for Tempe Police Department, said the teen is suspected of misconduct involving weapons and possessing a prohibited weapon and improvised explosive device.
The housekeeper was cleaning the home that belonged to Prater's family when she discovered the device with wires sticking out in the room. Suspecting that it looked like a bomb, she took it to a fire station in Tempe to have it checked out.
When the firefighters realized what it was, they called the police, who confirmed that it was a disabled improvised explosive device (IED).
The unnamed woman told police that there were more suspicious materials in the teen's room, showing them photos that she took. The pictures showed the items used to make even more IEDs, according to Pooley.
The IED was reportedly created from a CO2 cartridge, low explosive powder, fireworks, match heads, and a hobby fuse.
"They had it X-rayed, they saw it was a valid IED. It was something that wasn't big, but could cause serious injuries and the death of someone," Pooley told MyFoxPhoenix.com.
Prater's house has been searched and authorities have notified school officials about the IED. The police plan to investigate whether there were any threats at the school.
The boy reportedly told police that he created it 10 years ago and did not know that it contained explosive powder, according to KPHO TV.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Collateral damage: how factional fighting in the Church damages us all
- #PrayForLondon is the latest #PrayFor hashtag to trend. Sadly, there have been many others
- 6 Scripture verses about the heart – and why they don't mean what you think
- Study shows 'religious' countries are worse at science. What does this really tell us?
- 5 truths to cling to in the midst of uncertainty
- 'Identity' by Colton Dixon: An ambitious, vibrant and hopeful anthem
- Don't blame Islam, don't blame religion: It's people that make the world violent
- Persevering when times are tough: 6 scriptures to help you keep going
- Is it ever God's fault when we sin?
- Pope Francis warns EU risks dying, faces 'vacuum of values'
- Israel 'ignores' UN demand to end settlement building in occupied territories
- Republicans in disarray as Trump fails to repeal Obamacare
- Pastor reveals horror of child sacrifices in Uganda, claims murder of innocents is big business
- Christianity is 'over' in Iraq, but 'God is not dead despite terrible persecution,' says 'Vicar of Baghdad'
- Archbishop of Canterbury: 'Christ's love and self-sacrifice will triumph over evil and despair'