Housekeeper finds bomb in teen's room (VIDEO): improvised explosive device (IED) found in Joshua Prater's room
A housekeeper found a bomb while she was cleaning out a teen's room in Arizona.
Joshua Prater was taken into custody after an improvised explosive device was found in in his room by a housekeeper, according to authorities. The 18-year-old attended Marcos De Niza High School.
Sgt. Mike Pooley, spokesman for Tempe Police Department, said the teen is suspected of misconduct involving weapons and possessing a prohibited weapon and improvised explosive device.
The housekeeper was cleaning the home that belonged to Prater's family when she discovered the device with wires sticking out in the room. Suspecting that it looked like a bomb, she took it to a fire station in Tempe to have it checked out.
When the firefighters realized what it was, they called the police, who confirmed that it was a disabled improvised explosive device (IED).
The unnamed woman told police that there were more suspicious materials in the teen's room, showing them photos that she took. The pictures showed the items used to make even more IEDs, according to Pooley.
The IED was reportedly created from a CO2 cartridge, low explosive powder, fireworks, match heads, and a hobby fuse.
"They had it X-rayed, they saw it was a valid IED. It was something that wasn't big, but could cause serious injuries and the death of someone," Pooley told MyFoxPhoenix.com.
Prater's house has been searched and authorities have notified school officials about the IED. The police plan to investigate whether there were any threats at the school.
The boy reportedly told police that he created it 10 years ago and did not know that it contained explosive powder, according to KPHO TV.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Monster Or Messiah: How Should The Church Respond To Donald Trump?
- Pope Francis: Christians Face Daily Battle With Satan
- 'Can I get a witness?' Whatever happened to sharing our testimonies?
- It's Been 500 Years Since The Reformation. Now Is The Time To Admit We Need Each Other
- What Does The Bible Have To Say About A Trump Presidency?
- Truth And Justice Meet: Why We Should Celebrate The Freedom Of Chelsea Manning
- Unsatisfied At Work? Here's How To Find Fulfilment
- Auschwitz Memorial Museum Director Appeals For Death Camp Staff Documents
- Real Christian Men Do This
- Vietnamese Buddhist Farmer Turns to Christ and Becomes an Evangelist After Jesus Heals His Wife
- Donald Trump, 45th U.S. President, Is 'Secular Cyrus' Prophesied In Isaiah 45, Says Christian Leader
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Strikes Back At Critical Priests, Asks Them, 'What Is Your Moral Ascendancy?'
- Women's March: Hundreds Of Thousands Of Feminist Protesters Gather In Washington Against Trump Agenda
- Blast In Pakistan Vegetable Market Kills At Least 21
- Violent Clashes Between Protesters And Police In Washington Over Trump Inauguration