High school 'hotness tournament' website: 'May Madness' at Issaquah high school sexualises teens, angers students and parents
A high school 'hotness tournament' website has sparked outrage among students and parents at Issaquah High School in Washington.
The online competition follows a similar tournament, which took place at a local radio station and judges female students at the school for their attractiveness.
But school are powerless to close down the competition, as it is not being held at the grounds of the school.
Last year, a similar 'hotness tournament' website was set up but was closed down by authorities after profane and offensive comments were left on the website.
However, this year's site is harder to gain access to, and nothing can be done about it as there is no comment section like before.
The boys at the high school have reportedly been running the tournament for five years, dubbing it the "May Madness" tournament. It encourages girls to "look their finest" and votes on the sexiness of a girl from 1 to 10.
"It's hard," district spokeswoman Sarah Niegowski told King 5 News. "It doesn't feel good to anybody." She continued, "These are pretty smart folks behind this. They know their first amendment rights. They're very quiet about who it is and the group behind it."
Students are being discouraged by school officials from participating in the "May Madness" tournament.
Sophomore Devon Keller said: "This kind of thing is sexualizing us girls like we're some sort of trophy."
"Almost every teenage girl has self-esteem issues. And doing something like that is absolutely ridiculous," said student Tristan Robinson.
No official action can be taken unless anything vulgar, offensive or illegal are found on the site.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- The Lesson For Labour From Its Forgotten Christian Socialist Leader: For The Greater Good, Corbyn Should Resign
- Five Scriptures For When You're Feeling Confused
- The 21st Century Solution To Displaying 16th Century Luther Artefacts: Print Them In 3D
- 3 Strategies For Online Soul-Protection
- Will A Christian Film Win Best Picture? Christian Today's Oscar Predictions
- Exclusive Michael Gove Interview: On Trump Quitting Early, Not Talking To Cameron And Being A Flawed Christian
- New Planets Have Been Discovered That Could Support Alien Life. Here Are 10 Questions For Christians
- Brand New VeggieTales Brings Godly Vegetables Back To Netflix: Exclusive Clips
- 'I Miss My Father': Daughter Of Murdered Missionary Jim Elliot Speaks Out
- We Have To Help Christians Fleeing Islamic State, Says Egypt's President Sisi
- In France, People Who Speak Against Abortion Will Now Be Treated As Criminals
- Christian Astrophysicist Sees Little Chance Of Alien Life In New Earth-Size Planets Discovered By NASA
- Christian Family Of ISIS Suicide Bomber Believe He Was 'Brainwashed'
- Drive-Through Ash Wednesday Blessings To Be Given Out At This Irish Church
- Opposition To Philippine's President Duterte Turn Historic Event Into Protest March