Happy Prostitute Ads PHOTOS [VIDEO]: Did campaign glamorize prostitution?
"Happy Prostitute Ads" commissioned by the Healthy Ministry in Brazil to promote safe sex has backfired.
The online campaign, which featured slogans such as "I'm happy being a prostitute" and "I cannot be seen without a condom, my love," have been scrapped after it received wide criticism and backlash for glamorizing prostitution.
The ad had intended to educate the public about sexually transmitted diseases and to reduce prejudice against prostitution.
The Health Ministry's head Alexander Padilha said: "The role of the ministry is to have specific content to encourage prevention among sex workers. He issued a statement after the offensive ad was pulled, saying, "I do not think this is a message the ministry should be sending. For as long as I remain in office and add like that will not be part of our campaigns."
Extreme poverty has been forcing many young men and women in Brazil to turn to prostitution, where it is legal in the country.
Prostitution in Brazil is expected to spike as the country prepares for the biggest sporting events in the coming years – the FIFA World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Olympics. Prostitutes are reportedly learning foreign languages so they can communicate with future clients.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- Children Fleeing ISIS In Mosul Find Sanctuary
- Rick Warren: How To Respond When Someone Hurts You
- Why Practising Christian Mindfulness Doesn't Mean Turning Buddhist
- Why The Pope's Historic Trip To Sweden Is So Significant
- Will Christians And Muslims Be Able To Live Side By Side In Iraq After ISIS?
- Sexual Violence: Why Christians Have To Talk About It
- Power Women: The Villagers Standing Up Against Sierra Leone's Rapists
- 3 Ancient Prayers That Will Help You Encounter God In A New Way
- Is Your Giving Doing More Harm Than Good?
- God's Newly Discovered Creations Amaze Scientists: Bizarre New Animals Found Under 'Submerged America'
- Basilica Of The Transfiguration Vandalised And Robbed
- Christians Still At Risk Of Extinction In Iraq Even After Defeat Of ISIS
- I Was Kicked Out Of Turkey For Being A Christian
- Child Refugees From Calais Head For Britain As France Prepares To Demolish Jungle
- Pope Urges Venezuelan Leader To Negotiate With Opposition Amid Crisis