Germany arrests 'Auschwitz guard' Hans Lipschis
A 93-year-old man understood to be a former guard at the Auschwitz extermination camp has been arrested by German authorities.
According to media reports, Hans Lipschis was arrested in Aalen, in the southwestern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, on charges of complicity in the mass murder of prisoners.
Stuttgart prosecutors are preparing the indictment against him. Lipschis told the authorities that he worked as a cook at the camp, situated in Poland, but prosecutors say there is evidence to suggest he had other responsibilities.
A spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office told AFP news agency: "He took on supervisory duties although he did not only work as a guard.
"We will try to determine concretely when and what he did at Auschwitz."
Lipschis was last month positioned at number four on the Simon Wiesenthal Center's most wanted Nazis list.
The centre says he served in the SS Death's Head Battalion at the camp between 1941 and 1945, during which time "he participated in the mass murder and persecution of innocent civilians, primarily Jews".
Zhang Xiuhong, a deacon at the Guiyang Huoshi Church in Guizhou province, is scheduled to stand trial next week over allegations of "illegal business operations".
Pastor Koat Akot, who leads in the Sudan Pentecostal Church, told Morning Star News he was told he must leave the country within 72 hours.
- Auschwitz Memorial Museum Director Appeals For Death Camp Staff Documents
- Real Christian Men Do This
- Hope Amid Crisis: Testimonies Of Christian Transformation In War-Torn Syria
- From Homelessness To Hope: Catholic Priest Who Met God On The Streets
- Bishop Eddie Long's Daughter Calls Her Father 'Perfect' In Heartfelt Remembrance
- President's Inauguration And The Bible: An Unconstitutional Convention
- The Wisdom Of Trump? Christians Must Pray The New President Can Learn From Solomon
- 6 Ways Practically To Step Out In Courage
- Jill Saward Funeral: Hundreds Gather To Pay Tribute To Lifelong Sex Abuse Campaigner
- Controversial Philippines President Duterte Seeks Peace With Pope Francis After Rows Over Condoms, Death Penalty
- Donald Trump Will Be Sworn in As U.S. President on 2 Bibles — Lincoln's and His Own Given By His Mom
- Charges Slapped on Pastor Who Predicted That Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe Will Die This Year
- Donald Trump Prays Together With Son of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Days Ahead of His Inauguration
- Tremors Felt In Rome As Three More Earthquakes Hit Italy
- Mysterious Catholic Lay Organisation Opus Dei Begins Process Of Electing New Leader