Germany arrests 'Auschwitz guard' Hans Lipschis
A 93-year-old man understood to be a former guard at the Auschwitz extermination camp has been arrested by German authorities.
According to media reports, Hans Lipschis was arrested in Aalen, in the southwestern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, on charges of complicity in the mass murder of prisoners.
Stuttgart prosecutors are preparing the indictment against him. Lipschis told the authorities that he worked as a cook at the camp, situated in Poland, but prosecutors say there is evidence to suggest he had other responsibilities.
A spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office told AFP news agency: "He took on supervisory duties although he did not only work as a guard.
"We will try to determine concretely when and what he did at Auschwitz."
Lipschis was last month positioned at number four on the Simon Wiesenthal Center's most wanted Nazis list.
The centre says he served in the SS Death's Head Battalion at the camp between 1941 and 1945, during which time "he participated in the mass murder and persecution of innocent civilians, primarily Jews".
As Coptic Christians continue to flee for their lives from the threat of ISIS in Egypt, the head of the Coptic Church in the UK has called out the 'horrific attacks' that have claimed 40 lives in the last three months.
Now Christian Art By The Masters Can Be Seen In Stunning Detail As Sistine Chapel Is Digitally Photographed
The Sistine Chapel at the Vatican has been given a digital make-over with thousands of photographs taken for the first time since 1994 in a move which will aid future restorations.
- St Paul's Celebrates First Female Chorister In 1000 Years
- 40 ways to invest in your marriage during Lent
- Victoria's Secret Lingerie Model Adriana Lima Reveals She Carries A Bible To Shows And Believes In 'Angels'
- This Tennessee Pastor Is Furious After Planned Parenthood Thanks Him For Donations: 'It Wasn't Me'
- Why This Old Testament Verse Is So Special - It's Full Of The Gospel
- 10 Things I've Tried – And Failed – To Give Up For Lent
- 8 Ways To Improve The Preaching In Your Church
- Life Hurts: How God Helped This Christian Doctor In Her Struggle With Anorexia
- Remembering George Herbert: 10 Quotes From The Great Priest And Poet
- Boycott Campaign Against Israel Is Latest 'Mutation' Of Oldest Hatred Says Former Chief Rabbi
- Egypt's Churches Condemn ISIS' 'Terrorist Acts Of Murder' Against Christians
- French Evangelicals Release 'Convictions' Document Ahead Of Elections
- Egypt Exodus: Hundreds Of Christians Flee As ISIS Militants Go On Killing Spree
- Bishop Angaelos Implores Action For Egypt's Coptic Christians 'Being Killed In The Streets'
- Where Is Jeff Woodke? Concern Grows For Missing US Missionary