When is Easter 2014? date in USA coincides with Easter Orthodox Easter this year
This year, Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, April 20, 2014. The date coincides with the Greek Orthodox Easter date, which is observed by Eastern Orthodox churches across Russia and Europe.
Christians in the West follow the Gregorian, while the Eastern Orthodox Christians follow the Julian calendar. Sometimes, the Easter dates can coincide.
The date of celebrating Easter changes every year, due to the moon and vernal equinox. The vernal equinox was on March 20 this year, and the first full moon is expected April 15, which will also be a lunar eclipse.
Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, which is the third day after his crucifixion on the cross. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by a forty day fasting and prayer period called Lent.
Easter is followed by a fifty-day period, which ends with the Pentecost.
In New York City, the annual Easter and Bonnet parade will be held this year. There will also a number of egg hunts for kids across the city. See a full list of Easter Egg hunts in Manhattan here.
Here are seven important facts everyone should be aware of regarding Zika Virus.
An evangelical pastor spanked women's bare bottoms to administer "spiritual discipline", a court has been told.
- Star Trek Beyond: searching for hope in a godless universe
- Controversial evangelist, activist and bestselling 'Left Behind' author dies aged 90
- Scotland's Christian 'saint in the making' Margaret Sinclair to star in new play
- The burning issue: Why the Church has got to start talking about hell
- Come to church this week for poets, rock stars, circus skills and 'champing'
- Lead us not into the temptations of Twitter, warns Pope Francis
- Vice-President Kaine? Find out six facts about his faith
- How your holidays can still be holy days
- Child abuse, the Church and the Goddard inquiry: Why we should all pray it succeeds
- Why Pope Francis may not be particularly welcome in Poland
- Religious people oppose genetic engineering to enhance human abilities
- Jacques Hamel: The humble priest who was 'treasured' by the community
- Many thousands of displaced children in Nigeria on brink of starvation
- Florida Gators' Cristian Garcia credits God with using him to stop alleged sexual assault on a woman
- Senior Church leader warns of 'copycat killings' after French priest has throat slit