When is Easter 2014? date in USA coincides with Easter Orthodox Easter this year
This year, Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, April 20, 2014. The date coincides with the Greek Orthodox Easter date, which is observed by Eastern Orthodox churches across Russia and Europe.
Christians in the West follow the Gregorian, while the Eastern Orthodox Christians follow the Julian calendar. Sometimes, the Easter dates can coincide.
The date of celebrating Easter changes every year, due to the moon and vernal equinox. The vernal equinox was on March 20 this year, and the first full moon is expected April 15, which will also be a lunar eclipse.
Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, which is the third day after his crucifixion on the cross. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by a forty day fasting and prayer period called Lent.
Easter is followed by a fifty-day period, which ends with the Pentecost.
In New York City, the annual Easter and Bonnet parade will be held this year. There will also a number of egg hunts for kids across the city. See a full list of Easter Egg hunts in Manhattan here.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 'Supergroup' Of Chorister Kids Releases Album Of Choral Classics
- The Great Wall Review: A Boundary-Shifting Movie That Might Get Donald Trump Worried
- Why We Should Not Take Ourselves Too Seriously: 7 Fun Looks At Evangelical Christian Culture
- Why Did Jesus Ask A Blind Man If He Wanted Healing?
- A Radical Way To Buy Your Own Home - Thanks To God And Christian Mission
- 8 Moments You'll Only Understand If You're A Calvinist
- Why Trump's Rambling, Incoherent Press Conference Is So Worrying
- When Are British Bank Holidays In 2017?
- Why Christians Should Beware Of Random Acts Of Kindness
- ISIS Drowns 13 Civilians, Execute 8 Others In Mosul, Kirkuk On Charges of Collaborating With The Enemy
- Christians In Mideast Reject Trump Plan To Prioritise U.S. Resettlement Of Christian Refugees: 'Wrong Message, Wrong Policy'
- Boko Haram Has Murdered 100,000, Displaced 2 Million In War To Wipe Out Christianity In Nigeria
- Malaysia Arrests North Korean Man As Row Over Kim Jong Nam's Death Escalates
- Islamist Extremists Spill More Christian Blood In Egypt Amid Fears That More Attacks Are Forthcoming
- Mother Of Man Who Killed Pastor Turns To Christ After Church Shows Forgiveness, Compassion