When is Easter 2014? date in USA coincides with Easter Orthodox Easter this year
This year, Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, April 20, 2014. The date coincides with the Greek Orthodox Easter date, which is observed by Eastern Orthodox churches across Russia and Europe.
Christians in the West follow the Gregorian, while the Eastern Orthodox Christians follow the Julian calendar. Sometimes, the Easter dates can coincide.
The date of celebrating Easter changes every year, due to the moon and vernal equinox. The vernal equinox was on March 20 this year, and the first full moon is expected April 15, which will also be a lunar eclipse.
Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, which is the third day after his crucifixion on the cross. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by a forty day fasting and prayer period called Lent.
Easter is followed by a fifty-day period, which ends with the Pentecost.
In New York City, the annual Easter and Bonnet parade will be held this year. There will also a number of egg hunts for kids across the city. See a full list of Easter Egg hunts in Manhattan here.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- 10 Books Every Church Preacher Should Read
- 'Killer Clowns' And Flesh-Eating Zombies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Halloween
- The Offensive Teaching Of Jesus That Christians Have Tried To Tone Down
- This Christian Woman Was Locked In A Shipping Container And Tortured - Because She Kept Saying The Name Of Jesus
- Iraqi Army Liberates Christian Town As US Defence Secretary Flies In For Talks
- Iraqi Army Tries To Take Main Christian Town Near Mosul
- North Korean Woman Reveals How They Were Taught to Hate Christians
- 5 Out of 6 Christians In Iraq Have Been Forced To Flee Since 2003
- 'God Helped Us Come Out of Bondage,' Say 21 Nigerian Schoolgirls Freed by Boko Haram Militants
- Muslim Children As Young As Five In Pakistan Are Being Taught To Hate Christians, Says Archbishop