Controversial tattooed Jesus ad case continues; appeal filed [Video]
Texas school district wins case against Christian marketing firm.
Texas company Little Pencil, LLC filed an appeal June 26 on an unfavorable decision regarding their controversial Jumbotron advertisement showing a tattooed Jesus.
The Christian marketing firm wanted to show the ad during the Lubbock Independent School District's (LISD) high school football games, but the district rejected the request. A federal judge ruled in favor of the district on May 29.
Little Pencil submitted a still image of a tattooed Jesus – arms outstretched and wearing a crown of thorns – to the district for approval on October 1, 2013. The tattoos read "Depressed and Stressed Out," "Outcast," "Hated," "Addicted," "Jealous," "Faithless," and other negative feeling and situations across Jesus' arms, stomach, and chest. The website address Jesustattoo.org also appeared on the proposed ad.
LISD rejected the ad because tattoos are against the district's policy, and because the ad "is clearly an advancement of a religious message and goes beyond general commercial advertising allowed on the jumbotron," according to court records.
Little Pencil argued that churches and missions have been allowed to advertise at LISD's Lowery Field, and that the field was a public forum protected under First Amendment rights.
U.S. District Judge Sam R. Cummings found that the field is a limited public forum, as evidenced by each advertisement having to be approved by the district. The court also found that the district's enforcement of its tattoo policy was reasonably applied, and that the ad "is properly characterized as a proselytizing message designed to advance Plaintiffs' 'sincerely held religious beliefs' to the viewer." This also distinguished Little Pencil's ad from other Christian advertisements that the district had approved, in the eyes of the court.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
Little Pencil, represented by Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), disagreed.
"When a public school opens up a venue for community advertising, it cannot single out religious messages that it doesn't like," ADF legal counsel Matt Sharp insisted. "The First Amendment protects freedom of speech for all Americans, regardless of their religious beliefs."
"Having a viewpoint that school officials don't favor isn't grounds for censorship."
On Jesustattoo.org, there is a video showing Jesus as a tattoo artist, transforming his clients' negative tattoos into positive ones. The negative tattoos are removed from them, and placed on Jesus' body. Little Pencil stated that the images "represent to the viewer how Jesus can transform a person's negative past into a positive future."
Nearly seven out of 10 Americans agree that it is morally acceptable for a person to ask for a physician's help in taking his or her own life.
Surveys abound about millennials and their attitudes to the Bible. Do they read the Bible more, or less?
- 75 Thoughts You Have At A Carol Service
- Should Protestants Pay More Attention To Mary? And What's The Immaculate Conception Anyway?
- Twitter Lights Up For #NationalChristmasTreeDay
- Four Great Christmas Videos You Might Not Have Come Across
- How Many Presents Should Your Child Receive On Christmas Day?
- 'Father Forgive': How One Christian Woman Learnt To Forgive Her Husband's Murderers
- Are You Living With A Ten-Verse Bible? Here's Why It's So Dangerous For Your Spiritual Health
- Faith, Hope, And Politics: The Book You Need To Read In 2017
- Would Jesus Burn The Stars And Stripes?
- British Government Has Failed The Christians Of Syria And Iraq, Senior Clergy Say
- Christian Charity Compassion International Could Be Forced Out Of India
- Orthodox Christians In Russian Town Protest Against New Condom Factory
- Musician Convicted Of Child Abuse Beaten To Death In Church
- Two Critical After Pastor Gave Congregation 'Liquid Substance' To Drink
- Victory In Sight For Syrian Army In Aleppo
- Why Listening to Your Spouse Is Crucial to a Happy Marriage
- 3 Perspectives to Help You Face Confusing Situations With Peace
- 3 Ways We Stop Ourselves from Doing What God Wants Us to Do
- Would Jesus Burn The Stars And Stripes?
- 3 Things Every Christian Should Pray for
- 3 Ways Husbands Can Make Their Wives Happy on a Daily Basis
- 3 Signs of Poverty Mentality