The Reverend Dr Angus Morrison has been announced as the next Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
Dr Morrison is current minister of Orwell and Portmoak Church in the Presbytery of Perth, and will take up the office at the next General Assembly of the Church of Scotland when it takes place in May 2014.
He was born in Glencoe in 1953 and educated at the University of Glasgow and the University of Edinburgh, doing his PhD at New College before being ordained in the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland in 1979.
He transferred to the Church of Scotland after ministries in Oban and Edinburgh, becoming the minister of St Columba's Old Parish Church in Stornoway and is now Minister at Orwell and Portmoak Parish Church.
During his time in the Church of Scotland he has served as a:
· Member of the Church and Nation Committee, latterly on the Europe Group
· Member and then Vice Convener of Panel and Doctrine
· Moderator of the Presbytery of Lewis
· Convener of the Mission and Discipleship Council
· Member of the Special Commission on Same-sex Relationships and the Ministry
· Chaplain in 2005 and 2006 to the Lord Mackay of Clashfern when he served as Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly
· Chaplain to the Queen
Dr Morrison was ordained to the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland and not the Free Church of Scotland as originally stated.