Charles Ramsey interview video; 3 women reunited with family after 10 year kidnapping ordeal
Charles Ramsey has given an interview about how he helped Amanda Berry escape from her captivity on Monday, and the video has now gone viral.
Berry was one of three kidnapped Ohio women who escaped a house where they had been imprisoned for 10 years.
Ramsey has been praised as the hero in the incident, hearing Berry's screams as she made a break for freedom from the house. Instead of ignoring the screams, Ramsey rushed to help and free Berry who he found trapped in a residence belonging to his own neighbor.
"I heard screaming. I'm eating my McDonald's, I come outside, I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of her house. So I go on the porch, I go on the porch and she says 'help me get out, I been in here a long time'. So you know, I figured this is a domestic violence dispute, so I opened the door, but we can't get in that way because how the door is, it's so much that a body can't fit through, only your hand. So we kicked the bottom and she comes out with a little girl, and she says 'call 911. My name is Amanda Berry'," Charles Ramsey told reporters.
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, all went missing in separate incidents between 2002 and 2004 in Cleveland, and through all that time their family's never game up hope that they would be found alive.
Once Berry was freed from the house she rushed with Ramsey across the street to call 911 and alert authorities that she was alive and free. Police were sent to the house where the other two girls were also found.
According to reports, DeJesus, Knight, Berry and her six-year old daughter, who she gave birth to while in captivity, were all rushed to hospital to be checked over, and their astonished families later came to the hospital for tearful and joyous reunions.
It now appears as though three brothers were behind the kidnappings of the girls. Fifty-two-year-old Ariel Castro, as well as Pedro Castro, 54, and O'Neal Castro, 50, have now been arrested.
The girls were kept imprisoned in Ariel Castro's house, where as his brothers lived nearby.
Ramsey continued: "About five minutes after the police got here. See, that girl Amanda told the police 'I ain't just the only one, it's some more girls up in that house.' So they going' up there, you know, 30 or 40 deep, and when they came out it was just astonishing, cause I thought they would come up with nothing. I figured, I mean, whoever she was, like I say, my neighbor, you got some big testicles to pull this off dude, cause we see this guy every day I mean every day."
Ramsey explained that he has been left astonished that his neighbor was behind the kidnappings, and admitted he and the other neighbors on the street had no clue that something sinister was happening inside the house.
Ramsey said that he ate barbecue and listened to music together with Ariel Castro.
He said, "Not a clue that that girl was in that house, or anybody was in there against their will, because how he is, is he just comes out to his backyard, he plays with the dogs, tinkers with his cars and motorcycles, goes back in the house. So he's somebody that you look and you look away because he's not doing nothing but the average stuff, you see what I'm saying? Ain't nothing exciting about him. Well, until today."
See below for the interview video:
France has begun to clear the 'Jungle' migrant camp in Calais in which around 7,000 people live in squalid conditions.
Texas High School Allows 'Jesus' In Sponsor Logo on Sports Team's Jersey After Initially Rejecting It
A high school in Texas initially refused the help of a Christian businessman who wanted to use Jesus' name in a sponsorship logo, but eventually changed its decision after being called out by a religious freedom group.
- 3 Ancient Prayers That Will Help You Encounter God In A New Way
- Is Your Giving Doing More Harm Than Good?
- 4 Ways To Encourage Young People To Lead In Church
- Aberfan: The Quiet Heroism Of The Wounded Healer
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- Power Women: The Villagers Standing Up Against Sierra Leone's Rapists
- Opium Crops Spread In Afghanistan As Taliban Gains Ground
- Massacre In Mosul As Civilians Used As Human Shields
- 'Selective Reduction': Norway Allows Women to Legally Abort One of Their Twins Even If Baby Is Healthy
- Iraqi Army Liberates Christian Town As US Defence Secretary Flies In For Talks
- Iraqi Army Tries To Take Main Christian Town Near Mosul