Charles Ramsey interview video; 3 women reunited with family after 10 year kidnapping ordeal
Charles Ramsey has given an interview about how he helped Amanda Berry escape from her captivity on Monday, and the video has now gone viral.
Berry was one of three kidnapped Ohio women who escaped a house where they had been imprisoned for 10 years.
Ramsey has been praised as the hero in the incident, hearing Berry's screams as she made a break for freedom from the house. Instead of ignoring the screams, Ramsey rushed to help and free Berry who he found trapped in a residence belonging to his own neighbor.
"I heard screaming. I'm eating my McDonald's, I come outside, I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of her house. So I go on the porch, I go on the porch and she says 'help me get out, I been in here a long time'. So you know, I figured this is a domestic violence dispute, so I opened the door, but we can't get in that way because how the door is, it's so much that a body can't fit through, only your hand. So we kicked the bottom and she comes out with a little girl, and she says 'call 911. My name is Amanda Berry'," Charles Ramsey told reporters.
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, all went missing in separate incidents between 2002 and 2004 in Cleveland, and through all that time their family's never game up hope that they would be found alive.
Once Berry was freed from the house she rushed with Ramsey across the street to call 911 and alert authorities that she was alive and free. Police were sent to the house where the other two girls were also found.
According to reports, DeJesus, Knight, Berry and her six-year old daughter, who she gave birth to while in captivity, were all rushed to hospital to be checked over, and their astonished families later came to the hospital for tearful and joyous reunions.
It now appears as though three brothers were behind the kidnappings of the girls. Fifty-two-year-old Ariel Castro, as well as Pedro Castro, 54, and O'Neal Castro, 50, have now been arrested.
The girls were kept imprisoned in Ariel Castro's house, where as his brothers lived nearby.
Ramsey continued: "About five minutes after the police got here. See, that girl Amanda told the police 'I ain't just the only one, it's some more girls up in that house.' So they going' up there, you know, 30 or 40 deep, and when they came out it was just astonishing, cause I thought they would come up with nothing. I figured, I mean, whoever she was, like I say, my neighbor, you got some big testicles to pull this off dude, cause we see this guy every day I mean every day."
Ramsey explained that he has been left astonished that his neighbor was behind the kidnappings, and admitted he and the other neighbors on the street had no clue that something sinister was happening inside the house.
Ramsey said that he ate barbecue and listened to music together with Ariel Castro.
He said, "Not a clue that that girl was in that house, or anybody was in there against their will, because how he is, is he just comes out to his backyard, he plays with the dogs, tinkers with his cars and motorcycles, goes back in the house. So he's somebody that you look and you look away because he's not doing nothing but the average stuff, you see what I'm saying? Ain't nothing exciting about him. Well, until today."
See below for the interview video:
As one president cedes power peacefully in the USA, on the other side of the world it is taking 16 neighbouring countries and the might of the UN to try and persuade Yahya Jammeh to do the same.
The child sponsorship charity Compassion has announced that government restrictions mean the charity will soon be closing operations in India, unable to serve the 145,000 children it currently supports.
- Pope Francis: Christians Face Daily Battle With Satan
- 'Can I get a witness?' Whatever happened to sharing our testimonies?
- It's Been 500 Years Since The Reformation. Now Is The Time To Admit We Need Each Other
- What Does The Bible Have To Say About A Trump Presidency?
- Truth And Justice Meet: Why We Should Celebrate The Freedom Of Chelsea Manning
- Unsatisfied At Work? Here's How To Find Fulfilment
- Auschwitz Memorial Museum Director Appeals For Death Camp Staff Documents
- Real Christian Men Do This
- Hope Amid Crisis: Testimonies Of Christian Transformation In War-Torn Syria
- Holy Spirit 'Stirring' In War-Ravaged Aleppo As Muslims Seek Refuge in Christian Prayer Tents
- Germany Rejecting 'Almost All' Applications for Asylum of Christian Refugees, Pastor Reveals
- 'There's a God Up There': Last Man on the Moon Who Marvelled At 'Majestic' Earth Passes Into Eternity
- €700 Fine For Artist Who 'Defiled Church' By Doing Press-Ups On The Altar
- 'Jesus Get Me Out of Here!': Desperate Call for Help of Driver in Burning Dump Truck Leads to His Rescue
- ISIS Jihadis Destroy Ancient Monument In Palmyra