Black Forest Fire evacuation MAP [UPDATE]: Mandatory evacuation zone extended, fires may grow to 11,000 acres
The evacuation zone for the Black Forest Colorado fire which has been raging since Tuesday has expanded to the north and west today. The fire is expected to increase up to 11,000 acres.
The northern boundary of the evacuation zone has extended to Walker Road while the western boundary extended to Highway 83, according to ABC 7.
The Elbert County Sheriff has also announced residents of southern Elbert County to evacuate from the county line north to County Road 106 on north and N. Elbert Road on the east.
Officials estimate that up to 9,500 residents are in the evacuation area.
The weather remains dry and windy, making the fire very hard to control.
A voluntary evacuation has been issued for residents of the City of Colorado Springs. The zone covers West to I-25 and all areas north of Old Ranch Road within the City limits of Colorado Springs.
See below for an updated interactive map of the mandatory evacuation zone for the Black Forest fire based on the information shared by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
View Black Forest Fire Evacuation Map in a larger map
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 6 Scripture verses about the heart – and why they don't mean what you think
- Study shows 'religious' countries are worse at science. What does this really tell us?
- 5 truths to cling to in the midst of uncertainty
- 'Identity' by Colton Dixon: An ambitious, vibrant and hopeful anthem
- Don't blame Islam, don't blame religion: It's people that make the world violent
- Persevering when times are tough: 6 scriptures to help you keep going
- Is it ever God's fault when we sin?
- Music in church can be a battlefield. So what's the point of it?
- In His Grip: A guide to Christian email sign-offs
- Pastor reveals horror of child sacrifices in Uganda, claims murder of innocents is big business
- Christianity is 'over' in Iraq, but 'God is not dead despite terrible persecution,' says 'Vicar of Baghdad'
- Archbishop of Canterbury: 'Christ's love and self-sacrifice will triumph over evil and despair'
- In Afghanistan, more than 1 in 10 babies die at birth. Here's why – and how it can change
- #PrayForLondon is the latest #PrayFor hashtag to trend. Sadly, there have been many others
- Fortune's 50 greatest leaders: Who is the one religious figure?