200-year-old, 40-pound fish caught by Henry LIebman in Alaska [PHOTO]
A 200-year-old fish has been caught by a fisherman in Alaska.
Henry Liebman of Seattle was fishing off the coast of Alaska on June 21 when he reeled in a gigantic shortraker fish that was swimming 900 feet below.
"I knew it was abnormally big (but I) didn't know it was a record until on the way back we looked in the Alaska guide book that was on the boat," Liebman told The Daily Sitka Journal.
The ginormous orange rockfish weighs 40 pounds and is a common fish in Alaska that can live at a depth of over 2,500 feet.
Liebman's catch could be a record as analysts from the state Department of Fish and Game believe that it could be over 200 years old. The age of the shortraker is determined by the number of growth rings along its earbone.
The 41-inch fish could break the current record of a minnow that was over 200 years old but measured at 32-and-a-half inches.
"That fish was 32 and a half inches long, where Henry's was almost 41 inches, so his could be substantially older," Troy Tidingco, Sitka area manager for the department told the paper.
A sample of the fish was sent to a lab in Juneaw, the state capital, to determine its age.
Liebman says he plans to have the fish mounted at his home in Seattle.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
Ex-ISIS child soldier recalls horror of seeing kids playing with severed heads of executed prisoners
ISIS has been known to exploit children and hone them into soldiers and assets for the group. One of them was a boy named Ibrahim, a former ISIS soldier whose horrific experience with the militant group are forever etched on his mind.
- Denmark: Friday prayers held at Scandinavia's first female-led mosque
- It's not Christian to be nice
- Christian Small Group: The rejected TV pilot
- Earthquakes and floods: Is God punishing people?
- Does money really stop us getting into heaven?
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Revelation 2: Has the church lost its first love?
- Should Christian charities take atheists' money?
- Top 5 daily prayer apps to help your devotional life
- Prayer relieves woman's horrendous headache after road accident
- Indonesia: Priest injured in suspected church 'terror' attack
- Christian shot by Muslim hater saved others before he died
- Man in horrific crash sees vision of God in 'glowing chariot' flying through the air, lifting and saving him
- It's OK for Christians to worry about refugees in U.S., religious freedom activist says
- Archbishop from Uganda says beating of children, wives at home should stop