200-year-old, 40-pound fish caught by Henry LIebman in Alaska [PHOTO]
A 200-year-old fish has been caught by a fisherman in Alaska.
Henry Liebman of Seattle was fishing off the coast of Alaska on June 21 when he reeled in a gigantic shortraker fish that was swimming 900 feet below.
"I knew it was abnormally big (but I) didn't know it was a record until on the way back we looked in the Alaska guide book that was on the boat," Liebman told The Daily Sitka Journal.
The ginormous orange rockfish weighs 40 pounds and is a common fish in Alaska that can live at a depth of over 2,500 feet.
Liebman's catch could be a record as analysts from the state Department of Fish and Game believe that it could be over 200 years old. The age of the shortraker is determined by the number of growth rings along its earbone.
The 41-inch fish could break the current record of a minnow that was over 200 years old but measured at 32-and-a-half inches.
"That fish was 32 and a half inches long, where Henry's was almost 41 inches, so his could be substantially older," Troy Tidingco, Sitka area manager for the department told the paper.
A sample of the fish was sent to a lab in Juneaw, the state capital, to determine its age.
Liebman says he plans to have the fish mounted at his home in Seattle.
An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.
Olympic runner Allyson Felix credits her faith for her success as an athlete.
- The Tax Collector And The Pharisee: How God's Mercy Is Shown To Unexpected People
- 3 Things That Need Your Prayers This Weekend
- The Crowd-Funded Bible That Reaches Out To The Young Kids Of Instagram
- The Lonely Catholic President: The Faith Of JFK
- How Britain Could Help Stamp Out Massive Global Corruption – Really Easily
- 10 Books Every Church Preacher Should Read
- 'Killer Clowns' And Flesh-Eating Zombies: How To Talk To Your Kids About Halloween
- The Offensive Teaching Of Jesus That Christians Have Tried To Tone Down
- This Christian Woman Was Locked In A Shipping Container And Tortured - Because She Kept Saying The Name Of Jesus
- 'God Helped Us Come Out of Bondage,' Say 21 Nigerian Schoolgirls Freed by Boko Haram Militants
- Muslim Children As Young As Five In Pakistan Are Being Taught To Hate Christians, Says Archbishop
- Fresh Blow To International Justice Body As South Africa Says It's Quitting
- Churches Around The World Ring Bells For Aleppo As Hundreds Slaughtered In Brutal Siege
- Nigerian Christians Massacred In 'Savage' Attack, At Least 40 Dead
- Charlie Hebdo Mocks New Russian Cathedral: Russians Say It's 'Blasphemous And Scandalous'